https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/198742-converting_wordfast_memory_to_trados.html

Converting Wordfast memory to Trados
Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:12
French to English
May 12, 2011

Hello
I use Wordfast for my translation work and recently a new agency asked me if I could sent them the memory converted for Trados. I'm not sure how to do this, is it possible?
thanks in advance for any help.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 23:12
French to English
+ ...
Export as TMX May 12, 2011

If you are using the classic WordFast, there's a special filter to export as TMX in the TM editor. Trados can import TMX.

I find it works better if you reorganise the memory first.

T.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Save as tmx May 12, 2011

Hi Anne,

If you go into the TM editor field (click on the icon in the toolbar), then click on Tools, then Special filters, you have the option to "Export TM as tmx". By clicking on this option, your file will be saved with a tmx extension with your other TM files and you can then send this to the client who should be able to use the tmx memory in Trados. This applies to Wordfast Classic at any rate - not sure about Pro.

HTH

Claire

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 12, 2011

Many thanks will try that

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
Finnish to French
Send them uncleaned documents instead May 12, 2011

Anne Greaves wrote:
I use Wordfast for my translation work and recently a new agency asked me if I could sent them the memory converted for Trados. I'm not sure how to do this, is it possible?

A better idea would be to send them the uncleaned version of the documents you translated for them: all they have to do is clean the documents against their own TM in order to update it. Added benefit: you won't send them translations that are related to other jobs/clients.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
If they really want a TMX May 12, 2011

You can also create a new WF TM and clean your document into that one. Then export it as a TMX.

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Did that. May 12, 2011

Thanks for suggestion. I did that but PM said they couldn't open it. Haven't yet had opportunity to try out any suggestions (many thanks|) due to pressure of work !
Dominique Pivard wrote:

Anne Greaves wrote:

A better idea would be to send them the uncleaned version of the documents you translated for them: all they have to do is clean the documents against their own TM in order to update it. Added benefit: you won't send them translations that are related to other jobs/clients.

Thiago Araujo
Thiago Araujo
Brazil
Local time: 18:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another doubt Dec 15, 2012

Hello, I'm trying to convert my Wordfast Classic TM to use it in MemoQ, but I'm failing to achieve it.
As everyone said, one should use the Tag Editor from Trados, but what if you don't have Trados, just MemoQ? Is it possible to do it?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Importing Wordfast TM to memoQ Dec 16, 2012

Thiago de Araujo Santos wrote:

I'm trying to convert my Wordfast Classic TM to use it in MemoQ, but I'm failing to achieve it.

Dear Thiago,

No need for conversions. Here is the way to import a Wordfast native TM into memoQ directly:
http://www.screencast.com/t/qqFB0QlM

HTH,
Yasmin

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
Finnish to French
CSV is the best method to import Wordfast TM in memoQ Dec 16, 2012

Thiago de Araujo Santos wrote:
Hello, I'm trying to convert my Wordfast Classic TM to use it in MemoQ, but I'm failing to achieve it.

Although you could in principle export your Wordfast TM to TMX and import it as TMX in memoQ, it often doesn't work in practice. The method described by Yasmin (import Wordfast TM directly as CSV) is the best. It has a few drawbacks, one of which is that you will lose the date and time stamp of TU's in the Wordfast TM (you can, however, import the Wordfast date field as metadata in memoQ). Special characters such as tabs, smart quotes and apostrophes, n- and m-dashes, copyright and trademark characters etc. may also not be imported properly in memoQ (you can, however, use find/replace in the memoQ editor to fix them manually, if needed).

Simon Capp
Simon Capp
Australia
WF Classic won't export TM to TMX May 12, 2014

Hi

I'm new to WordFast. I installed ver 6.07 on Word 2011 running on Mavericks (Mac). I'm doing a sample translation as a test before I announce to the client that I can work with Trados files.

So I finish the translation and do the clean-up, and now I want to export the TM as TMX. I go to Data Editor > Tools and choose "Export TM as TMX" then click OK. But the window just disappears. No dialog box, no message, nothing. And I can't find a .tmx version of my TM anywher
... See more
Hi

I'm new to WordFast. I installed ver 6.07 on Word 2011 running on Mavericks (Mac). I'm doing a sample translation as a test before I announce to the client that I can work with Trados files.

So I finish the translation and do the clean-up, and now I want to export the TM as TMX. I go to Data Editor > Tools and choose "Export TM as TMX" then click OK. But the window just disappears. No dialog box, no message, nothing. And I can't find a .tmx version of my TM anywhere; apparently it's meant to be saved together with the original.

I've spent the last hour or so searching this problem on various forums but can't find any reference to it anywhere. I'm know the demo version has size restrictions, but the TM is quite small so that shouldn't be it. I tried reinstalling WF Classic but no luck. Has anyone got any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks
Simon
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Try WFP or WFA May 13, 2014

Hi Simon,

I recommend installing WF Pro and exporting to TMX. Wordfast Pro runs better on Mac than WF Classic in general, especially when it comes to the data editor (not very stable on Mac from my experience).

Otherwise, you could use WF Anywhere (www.freetm.com). Would probably be even faster because no need to download anything.

Good luck!
John

Simon Capp
Simon Capp
Australia
Classic vs Pro/WFA May 13, 2014

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that I'm addicted to Word with all my shortcuts, text abbreviations and macros and that was the key appeal of Classic. While I understand that Classic is less stable, I'm still surprised that this function is not performing as expected. I read somewhere that WFA can be used to import a txt TM and convert it to tmx format, so perhaps I'll try that.

simon

[Edited at 2014-05-13 03:36 GMT]

[Edit
... See more
Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that I'm addicted to Word with all my shortcuts, text abbreviations and macros and that was the key appeal of Classic. While I understand that Classic is less stable, I'm still surprised that this function is not performing as expected. I read somewhere that WFA can be used to import a txt TM and convert it to tmx format, so perhaps I'll try that.

simon

[Edited at 2014-05-13 03:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-13 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Seems to be a bug in 6.07, works with beta May 13, 2014

Simon, I have just tried exporting a TM into TMX using version 6.07x on my Mac (Word 2011). I ran into the same problem you mentioned. This seems to be a Mac-specific bug in this Wordfast Classic version.

However, it should be fixed in the next update; in fact, you can download the beta version (click Download a beta version... in the top right corner at the WFC download page) and check for yourself - I
... See more
Simon, I have just tried exporting a TM into TMX using version 6.07x on my Mac (Word 2011). I ran into the same problem you mentioned. This seems to be a Mac-specific bug in this Wordfast Classic version.

However, it should be fixed in the next update; in fact, you can download the beta version (click Download a beta version... in the top right corner at the WFC download page) and check for yourself - I tried exporting a TM into TMX using the beta version (6.11d) and it worked well.

I hope this will help you.
Collapse

Simon Capp
Simon Capp
Australia
Problem solved May 13, 2014

Thanks so much guys for being so quick to respond.
You'll be pleased to know that the tmx export works just fine now.
I feel kinda lucky they released a new version right when I discovered this problem.
thanks again
simon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Wordfast memory to Trados

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »