Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 29, 2011

G'day everyone

Clients often ask me to make use of a remote TM, but then it turns out that the remote TM is either empty or it contains virtually no matches or even concordance matches for the current file. This means that I waste a lot of time waiting for the server to respond to term queries that end up being non-results. Is there a way that I can query the remote TM to find out what *size* the TM is, so that I can see whether the TM on the other side of the planet is just a dud
... See more
G'day everyone

Clients often ask me to make use of a remote TM, but then it turns out that the remote TM is either empty or it contains virtually no matches or even concordance matches for the current file. This means that I waste a lot of time waiting for the server to respond to term queries that end up being non-results. Is there a way that I can query the remote TM to find out what *size* the TM is, so that I can see whether the TM on the other side of the planet is just a dud or in fact a potential ally?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Don't know May 29, 2011

But in general there is a way to discover what a TM contains: you ask for a Context search for a very common word, for instance "the" in English. If this doesn't give returns, then your TM is empty. And by asking two or three keywords in your text you'll have an estimate of its usefullness.

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
It is possible in VLTM May 30, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

Clients often ask me to make use of a remote TM, ..

If client use as remote TM the VLTM at http://www.freetm.com,
You can see a numbers of TUS, see:

http://www.condak.net/wfa/20100529/cs/02.html

2.441 public and 247 private TUs for CS to RU. And another language pair:

http://www.condak.net/wfa/20100529/cs/03.html

was 2.450.446 public TUs for CS to EN.

Milan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Query size of remote TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search