Thread poster: Ana Carneiro

Ana Carneiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 7, 2011

Hi everybody,
I purchased a MAC OS X, version 10.6.8, with Windows 2011. I was wondering if anybody could advise me about which version of Wordfast I should buy, and also if it is possible to import my Trados TMs from Windows into it. The version of Trados is 2006, the system is Windows XP and the Office version is 2002.
Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 03:50
SITE STAFF
Pro for Mac Jul 7, 2011

In general the version would be Pro as that is platform independent. Classic requires an installation of Microsoft Word as it works on top of MS Word. You can run classic with a MAC but you would need to be running in windows mode with MS Word (using a virtual PC or PC emulator).

In case you were not aware, ProZ.com does resell Wordfast products via our Translator Group Buy - http://www.proz.com/tgb

regards,

Drew

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
You CAN run Wordfast Classic on Mac without a Windows Emulator Jul 7, 2011

Hi Ana,

Actually, Wordfast Classic does run on Mac OS7 and higher (including OS X) provided that you have Microsoft Word installed. WFC operates inside of Word 2004 and Word 2011 for Mac. PLEASE NOTE: Wordfast Classic DOES NOT RUN on Word 2008 for Mac. If you are running Word 2008, you will need to use Wordfast Pro or upgrade to the newest version of Word in order to run Wordfast Classic.

Hope this helps,

Kristyna

[Edited at 2011-07-07 15:35 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
Finnish to French
Office 2011 Jul 7, 2011

Ana Carneiro wrote:
I purchased a MAC OS X, version 10.6.8, with Windows 2011. I was wondering if anybody could advise me about which version of Wordfast I should buy, and also if it is possible to import my Trados TMs from Windows into it. The version of Trados is 2006, the system is Windows XP and the Office version is 2002.

Given you have a Mac, you probably mean *Office* 2011. You can use Wordfast Classic under Word 2011, for details about installing it, see:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=180-27

Wordfast Classic has a very similar interface to Trados Workbench 7.5 (SDL Trados 2006), so you will be very quickly up to speed. You'll need to export your Trados TM's as TMX in order to be able to use them in Wordfast.

You can also use Wordfast Pro, of which a native Mac version is available (see http://wordfast.com/store_download.html). Wordfast Pro uses the same TM format as Classic, so you'll also need to export your Trados TM's as TMX.

Classic is best suited for translated Word documents, Pro is better for all other formats (PowerPoint, Excel etc.). If you need to translate a variety of formats, you may want to get both versions of Wordfast (a bundle labelled 'Wordfast Studio').

Unlike Trados, Wordfast is try-before-you-buy software, so do install both Classic and Pro and use them in demo mode.

Ana Carneiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 11, 2011

Thank you all for your help. I will follow your suggestions, namely download the demo version and see how it goes.
Thanks again.
Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which version of Wordfast for Mac

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search