How to translate txml file in Wordfast Classic
Thread poster: mingbaby1111

mingbaby1111  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 13, 2011

I'm new to Wordfast Classic and I just learnt how to translate source word file. But I have no idea on how to translate txml files. When I open txml files using Microsoft Word, I found that there are so many tags and it's hard for me to find where the real source text is. I felt that I used the wrong way but I don't know what should be the right way. Or txml file can only be translated in Wordfast professional?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:54
English to Arabic
TXML in Wordfast Classic Jul 13, 2011

mingbaby1111 wrote:

I'm new to Wordfast Classic and I just learnt how to translate source word file. But I have no idea on how to translate txml files. When I open txml files using Microsoft Word, I found that there are so many tags and it's hard for me to find where the real source text is. I felt that I used the wrong way but I don't know what should be the right way. Or txml file can only be translated in Wordfast professional?



You can use the latest version of Wordfast Classic to convert the TXML file to a doc, translate/proofread and then convert it back to the TXML format. Please download and install the latest version of Wordfast Classic available at:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

Steps:

1- Open the TXML in MS Word.
2- Press Alt+Down to start translation
3- When you are asked to tag the file, answer affirmatively.
4- Translate!
5- Cleanup; this will create a TRANSLATED version of the TXML file in the same folder.

Make sure you do not change the file names and locations during the translation.

Still, this requires you to be able to handle "placeables" or more precisely inline tags adding them to the target, or you can just copy the source to the target (Alt+Ins) and then edit in between.

HTH,
Yasmin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two answers Jul 13, 2011

mingbaby1111 wrote:
I'm new to Wordfast Classic and I [have] just learnt how to translate source Word file[s]. But I have no idea on how to translate txml files.


1. You need Wordfast Pro to translate TXML files. You can translate TXML files in WFC, but not if you're a beginner user. In addition, you really need WFP to check afterwards if the translation went well.

2. When you're an expert user, you can translate TXML files in WFC using a variety of methods. You can use Yasmin's method (which doesn't require you to have WFP), or you can use my method (which requires you to have WFP):

http://wikisend.com/download/139104/wf_txml_macros.txt


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
Finnish to French
TXML to DOC is one-way only! Jul 13, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
You can use the latest version of Wordfast Classic to convert the TXML file to a doc, translate/proofread and then convert it back to the TXML format.

However, Wordfast Classic issues the following warning when opening a TXML in Word:

Convert this TXML file to a segmented DOC file?
(There is no direct reverse path - from bilingual DOC to TXML)

So yes, you can convert TXML to DOC, translate in Classic, get the translated DOC by cleaning in Classic, but you can no longer get a translated version of the TXML. And if the TXML was created from a format other than Word (eg. PowerPoint), there is no way you can create the translated version of the original document (eg. PPT), whether in Classic or in Pro.

My understanding is that the conversion TXML -> DOC should be used mostly to allow updating of a TM by someone who hasn't got Pro. For instance, if a translator uses Pro, but his client uses Trados, he can convert the translated TXML into an uncleaned Word document that will let the client update their TM.

If a translator gets a TXML from his client and the client expects a translated TXML back, the translator cannot use Classic to do the translation, at least not directly.

[Edited at 2011-07-13 07:54 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere is also a possibility Jul 13, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
2. When you're an expert user, you can translate TXML files in WFC using a variety of methods. You can use Yasmin's method (which doesn't require you to have WFP), or you can use my method (which requires you to have WFP):

My suggestion to someone who is not an expert, but is familiar with Classic, would be to use Anywhere (www.freetm.com). Anywhere has an interface that is very similar to that of Classic, but it can process TXML without compromising their integrity. In other words, what you get at the end of the translation process in Anywhere is a valid translated TXML that can be opened in Pro.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:54
English to Arabic
Versions before 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
You can use the latest version of Wordfast Classic to convert the TXML file to a doc, translate/proofread and then convert it back to the TXML format.


However, Wordfast Classic issues the following warning when opening a TXML in Word:

Convert this TXML file to a segmented DOC file?
(There is no direct reverse path - from bilingual DOC to TXML)


Dear Dominique and All,

Apologies for that! Actually, the way I mentioned above was applicable to several beta and public WF Classic versions released in 2010. But later the way has been changed to be one-way as you mentioned.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2011-07-13 07:53 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

mingbaby1111  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for your replies Jul 13, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions! Now I know that I will need a WFP for txml files and I will learn how to use WFP. Thanks again!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, latest WFC can't do TXML natively Jul 13, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:
So yes, you can convert TXML to DOC, translate in Classic, get the translated DOC by cleaning in Classic, but you can no longer get a translated version of the TXML.


Have you done this or are you just guessing, based on the message you got from WFC when you tried to translate a TXML file? I'm asking, because the way I understand it (having not done it fully myself either) is that the TXML function in the latest WFC is completely different from the TXML function in earlier beta versions of WFC that had a similar function.

Here is how I understand it (please give me your comments):

* WFC 5: You open a TXML file in MS Word, you translate it in WFC (after WFC "tags" it) as an MS Word file, and then you clean it up and end up with a translated TXML file.

* WFC6: You open a TXML file in MS Word, then WFC converts it to a new type of TXML, then you translate that TXML file in WFP (or WFA), and when you clean up the file, you end up with an bilingual "uncleaned" RTF file that contains your translation.

So what WFC6 does it totally different -- it is meant for people who have a TXML file but want an uncleaned RTF file in the end... though I've tried to do that, and it is a mess: you essentially have to translate inbetween the WFC tags inside WFP, and I have no idea how that would affect matching.

This means that the macro method is the only method I know of to translate TXML files in WFC. I forgot to add: I use the font Niagara Solid for the tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal styles, to keep the size of the tags down to a minimum.

Since people have asked me in the past how I do it, here are some sample files and instructions:
http://wikisend.com/download/478652/txml2wfc.zip


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
Finnish to French
This is correct Jul 13, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
Have you done this or are you just guessing, based on the message you got from WFC when you tried to translate a TXML file? I'm asking, because the way I understand it (having not done it fully myself either) is that the TXML function in the latest WFC is completely different from the TXML function in earlier beta versions of WFC that had a similar function.

Yes, I have tried it, so I know what kind of DOC you get at the end of the conversion process.

Samuel Murray wrote:
* WFC 5: You open a TXML file in MS Word, you translate it in WFC (after WFC "tags" it) as an MS Word file, and then you clean it up and end up with a translated TXML file.

* WFC6: You open a TXML file in MS Word, then WFC converts it to a new type of TXML, then you translate that TXML file in WFP (or WFA), and when you clean up the file, you end up with an bilingual "uncleaned" RTF file that contains your translation.

Yes, this is what Yasmin said: WFC 5 and WFC 6 have different goals when converting TXML's. I was talking about the current version of WFC, although I didn't say so explicitely.

Samuel Murray wrote:
So what WFC6 does it totally different -- it is meant for people who have a TXML file but want an uncleaned RTF file in the end... though I've tried to do that, and it is a mess: you essentially have to translate inbetween the WFC tags inside WFP, and I have no idea how that would affect matching.

I'm not sure why it would be a mess: if you have translated it in Pro (or in Anywhere), you no longer have to translate it in Classic. As I said, it is primarily aimed at users who want to clean it in Classic, or in Trados. WFP tags will end up in the TM as placeholders, it's no big deal, unless there are tons of them.

Samuel Murray wrote:
This means that the macro method is the only method I know of to translate TXML files in WFC. I forgot to add: I use the font Niagara Solid for the tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal styles, to keep the size of the tags down to a minimum.

As I said, Anywhere is a good alternative to Classic, as its interface is very similar.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate txml file in Wordfast Classic

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search