Cleaning up .docx files with Wordfast Classic
Thread poster: Kate Chaffer

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 08:55
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Jul 15, 2011

Whenever I use Wordfast Classic (6) to clean up .docx files (I have Word 2003 but with the add-on that allows me to open .docx files), I never get a usable bilingual .bak file at the end. When I try to open the .bak file, I get a file conversion message, asking me what coding to use to open the file, and whatever I choose leaves me with a load of senseless jumble. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks!


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Extension Jul 15, 2011

Try changing the filename extension from .bak to .docx, or just adding .docx. Does this help?

 

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 08:55
Member (2009)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
How? Jul 15, 2011

Sorry if this is a silly question but how can I change the file extension if I can't open the file?

 

xxxlobel
English to Dutch
Save in Word2003 Jul 15, 2011

Kate Chaffer wrote:

Whenever I use Wordfast Classic (6) to clean up .docx files (I have Word 2003 but with the add-on that allows me to open .docx files), I never get a usable bilingual .bak file at the end. When I try to open the .bak file, I get a file conversion message, asking me what coding to use to open the file, and whatever I choose leaves me with a load of senseless jumble. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks!


I have the same settings as you. Save your bilingual docx file as a Word 2003 file (extension .doc). Then clean it in the normal way, and you will have a normal bilingual bak file.

Hope this helps.


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Google is your friend Jul 16, 2011

Kate Chaffer wrote:

how can I change the file extension


http://tinyurl.com/5r4hu6g


 

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 08:55
Member (2009)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No luck so far Jul 16, 2011

To esperantisto - Changing the file extension to .doc or .docx doesn't make any difference. Does that work for you?

To lobel - That's what I've been doing so far. I just hoped there was another way of doing things, so I don't have to keep converting the files.


 

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:55
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Save as doc Jul 16, 2011

The problem is your version of Word cannot save docx files, with the add on you can open them but you can't really save files as docx.

What you need to do before you translate the file is open it in Word, click on save as and save it as a doc file, then just translate your doc file and return as doc (no problem with this as any version of Word that can open a docx file can open a doc file).

This should work most of the time however at times you may encounter a file which has something in it that is not compatible with doc files in this case this trick won't work, but most of the time docx files can be saved as doc files.

Just changing the extension will not work because that does not changing the files underlying code which is what really determines the type of file.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
Finnish to French
Word 2003 can save as DOCX Jul 17, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
The problem is your version of Word cannot save docx files, with the add on you can open them but you can't really save files as docx.

Word 2003 has no problem saving documents as DOCX, as long as the compatibility pack is installed.
I'm not sure what the original poster's exact problem is. I would advise her to save her document under a different name before cleaning it (a better practice in my opinion than relying on the BAK if one needs to revert to the uncleaned version).


 

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 08:55
Member (2009)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I already convert to .doc Jul 17, 2011

To Alex/Dominique

As I mentioned before, I generally save the file as .doc and then have no problems. I started this thread because I wanted to know if there was any other way of getting a usable .bak file after cleaning up a .docx. It appears there isn't. By the way, Alex, as Dominique said, Word 2003 can save files as .docx.


 

xxxlobel
English to Dutch
Compatibility pack Jul 17, 2011

Kate Chaffer wrote:

To Alex/Dominique

As I mentioned before, I generally save the file as .doc and then have no problems. I started this thread because I wanted to know if there was any other way of getting a usable .bak file after cleaning up a .docx. It appears there isn't. By the way, Alex, as Dominique said, Word 2003 can save files as .docx.


As far as I know, Word 2007 has been written in another language than Word 2003. The compatibility pack for Word 2003 does its work - it converts files in both directions. However, Wordfast Classic has been written for .doc and .rtf files, not for .docx files. It can clean up .docx files, but then the .bak file is corrupted, and one cannot expect Wordfast to resolve this very special kind of compatibility problems (Word2003 + service pack. After all, Word 2003 is eight years old...). Moreover, they have already found a solution, which is Wordfast Pro, which is software independent and has the right filters for Word2007.


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
It does Jul 18, 2011

Kate Chaffer wrote:

To esperantisto - Changing the file extension to .doc or .docx doesn't make any difference. Does that work for you?



Yes, changing to/adding .docx to a .bak file name lets it open both with Microsoft Word 2007 and LibreOffice Writer 3.4.1. I can’t confirm for MS Word 2003, however (I have it, but don’t have the compatibility pack).


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
In which environment? Jul 18, 2011

lobel wrote:

However, Wordfast Classic has been written for .doc and .rtf files, not for .docx files. It can clean up .docx files, but then the .bak file is corrupted


I don’t see any corruption for DOCX files translated with WFC 5.91i in MS Word 2007. Perhaps, the corruption may result from the compatibility pack.


 

camaranti
Local time: 02:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
No .bak file Feb 17, 2012

In my case, I don't get a .bax file after cleaning up icon_frown.gif

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning up .docx files with Wordfast Classic

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search