Urgent help required - translated Word doc not opening after translation
Thread poster: Peggy Maeyer
Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:38
English to German
Jul 19, 2011

Hi all,

I'm using WordfastPro 2.4.2 on PC and have just finished translating a Word document. During the translation process, everything worked fine, I finished the translation, updated the TM and then saved the finished file as doc.
I then tried to open the translated file in Word, but Word crashes everytime I try to open the file!
To my knowledge, I haven't done anything unusual or different than usual - any ideas what the problem might be and how I can get at my translated Word file?

One piece of additional information: The Word doc contains a table of contents that Wordfast did not load during the translation process, I didn't think anything of that earlier on - might that cause problems??

Any ideas or suggestions welcome!!

Thanks,
Peggy

Direct link Reply with quote

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:38
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Try opening from in Word Jul 19, 2011

Have you tried opening Word first and then opening the file from the File -> Open menu.

Alternatively try right-clicking the file icon and click Open With and see if it will open say in WordPad or something else.

Hope that helps!

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Opens in WordPad Jul 19, 2011

Hi Hazel,

Thanks for your suggestion and sorry for the late reply - the document does open in WordPad, still I need it in Word and copying from WordPad destroys the formatting.
Well, anyway, thanks again for your help!

Peggy

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Option. Jul 19, 2011

I don't know WF Pro, but it must have an autotranlate function like WF Classic.

Can't you simply run that to recover the file?

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Same issue Jul 19, 2011

Andy Watkinson wrote:

I don't know WF Pro, but it must have an autotranlate function like WF Classic.

Can't you simply run that to recover the file?

Hi Andy,
Thanks, that was the first thing I did, but the newly translated and saved file caused the same problem; I was not able to open the translation in Word. Still no idea what the problem is, but by now I'm pretty sure there must have been a problem in the original Word doc ...

Thanks anyway!

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Cut the TOC out Jul 19, 2011

Try taking the source doc and cutting the table of contents out. Retranslate in WF, and if the target file works, paste the TOC part from the original. It's a field, so you'll need to update it anyway.

Even better (if it works) - take the source doc, save it in another Word format (doc, docx or RTF), retranslate, generate the target file and then save back to the original format.

Hope that helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help required - translated Word doc not opening after translation

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search