Problems with WFP when opening ppt file
Thread poster: Ute Kopf

Ute Kopf  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:08
English to German
+ ...
Jul 27, 2011

I'm a WFP "rookie" needing help with loading original files into the system. Unfortunately, the info provided in the manual under "Opening a file" is very rudimental.

Here is the issue

a) I just opened a ppt presentation in WFP and discovered that numerous text boxes from the original file were missing.

b) The other day I opened a word file, entered the complete translation and then clicked on "Save translated file". When opening the final word file in Wo
... See more
I'm a WFP "rookie" needing help with loading original files into the system. Unfortunately, the info provided in the manual under "Opening a file" is very rudimental.

Here is the issue

a) I just opened a ppt presentation in WFP and discovered that numerous text boxes from the original file were missing.

b) The other day I opened a word file, entered the complete translation and then clicked on "Save translated file". When opening the final word file in Word I realized that the table format of the original file was totally screwed up.

Thx for any help you might have.

Ute
Collapse

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No experience with WF Pro Jul 27, 2011

Ute Kopf wrote:

Ute

I don't like WF Pro; I sent it back the same day I bought it, as the interface was too similar to other programs I'm not keen on and it had too many functions I simply don't need.

I use WF classic, and have had a few problems with PPT docs, mostly with WF not recognising text boxes which reman hidden until most of the document is translated and only become visible when you run the spellchecker. The only way I found to get around this was by using the spellchecker to find them and translating them manually in a separate word document. However, I'm no expert and someone else will probably come up with a better solution.

Best of luck

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Werecat Jul 28, 2011

Dear Ute,
if textboxes are the problem, then you could try Werecat. It will extract textboxes from ppt and send them to a Word file. This you can translate in WFP and send the text back with Werecat.
Wf used to be blind to textboxes, but they have made some progress in recent editions. Surely Trados TE or Studio is better suited for these jobs.

Regards
Heinrich

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Install hotfix pack Jul 28, 2011

Make sure you’ve installed the hotfix pack available from the WFP download page. It is said to improve inter alia PowerPoint import/export capabilities.

Ute Kopf  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hotfix also with WFP Demo Version? Jul 29, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

Make sure you’ve installed the hotfix pack available from the WFP download page. It is said to improve inter alia PowerPoint import/export capabilities.

Thx for this! Will the hotfix pack also work with the demo version of WFP?
Ute

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Try PPTX instead of PPT Jul 31, 2011

Ute Kopf wrote:
Will the hotfix pack also work with the demo version of WFP?

Yes, the hotfix can be installed on a non-licensed copy of WFP.

If your PowerPoint presentation is a PPT, you may want to save it as PPTX and reopen it (as PPTX) in WFP. WFP has separate filters for PPT and PPTX and one filter may work better than the other for a given presentation.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Try DOCX instead of DOC Jul 31, 2011

Ute Kopf wrote:
b) The other day I opened a word file, entered the complete translation and then clicked on "Save translated file". When opening the final word file in Word I realized that the table format of the original file was totally screwed up.

Was your Word document a DOC or a DOCX? If it was a DOC, try saving it as DOCX, open the DOCX in WFP and retranslate it. Hopefully, 'Save translated file' will give better results.

Was your Word document converted from a PDF? That could also explain strange behaviours.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ppt text or image Aug 1, 2011

I would also suggest checking if the ppt text boxes that that did not get copied into the wordfast file are in fact text boxes or images, sometimes you find ppt files were what appears as text is embedded as an image and therefore cannot be edited. In that case your only option is to manually reproduce the text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with WFP when opening ppt file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search