Thread poster: portilla

portilla  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2011

I finished translating a couple of docs with WFC yesterday. Today I wanted to open the TM and it's empty, however, the .bak has all the TUs. What can I do?
Thanks,
Ricardo

Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
No worries... Aug 10, 2011

What you should do is open the .bak file, open Wordfast settings (Ctrl + Alt + W) or using button on toolbar, ensure proper TM is selected, then go to Tools > Select the file > Clean-Up. When you are prompted to "Update Translation Memory?" answer yes, and all units should be updated to the TM.

This is what I do when I am sent translations done by freelancers in order to update my TM.

Hope this helps.

portilla  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem to start working on a new file Aug 10, 2011

The problem I'm facing is when I open a new file to continue translating with the same memory, the memory is empty, either with WFPro or WFC.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Which .bak? Aug 11, 2011

portilla wrote:

Today I wanted to open the TM and it's empty, however, the .bak has all the TUs.

The .bak of the TM? Then try to revert its filename extension to .txt and engage with WF. Does this work?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Good point! Aug 11, 2011

esperantisto wrote:
The .bak of the TM?

Good point: Wordfast creates .bak of both the TM (for instance when reorganizing) and of documents translated (when cleaning them). A self-emptying TM sounds scary, though. And at any rate, I hope the original poster has some kind of backup strategy in place. The .bak files created by Wordfast are not meant to replace a good backup strategy (they won't help you if your hard disk crashes, your computer gets stolen etc.).

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sure Aug 11, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

The .bak files created by Wordfast are not meant to replace a good backup strategy

But they can be the last resort in some cases

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with WFClassic TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search