Problem saving translated Excel file
Thread poster: wiltom

wiltom
France
Local time: 07:30
French to English
Sep 14, 2011

I am having a little problem with Wordfast!

I have opened an Excel file in Wordfast and was happily working along, but when I tried to save the translated file I received this message :

Problem aligning document: SegmentID: 217
Reason : A worksheet with the same name already exists.

I have closed and reopened Excel, I have changed the name of the document but to no avail! I can find the EN_GB file but I can't open it in Excel????

Any help greatly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In file names Sep 14, 2011

I've not seen this before, but by what you say this message is telling you there is a worksheet problem, not a workbook problem.

Your excel file is your workbook, the sheets inside the file are the worksheets.

I would say the problem stems from the name of one of the worksheets, the worksheet names also get pulled by Wordfast so that they can be translated, it sounds like you are trying to give two sheets the same name, this is something Excel won't allow and is probably what is causing the problem.

I would suggest opening the source file and looking at the sheet names then find them in the Wordfast file and see if for some reason you have translated two of them the same.

wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Have tried that? (I think!) Sep 14, 2011

Thanks for your reply.

The Excel file I am working on is one of my own; I had to type text that was on a PDF doc into Excel as I couldn't convert the PDF to a useable format.

The Excel file is called 'Plaquettes' and the worksheet is just Feuil1 (I have tried changing the worksheet name and the file name, but it doesn't seem to make any difference).

I am really at a loss here...

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
translation of a sheet name repeated Sep 15, 2011

Dear Wiltom,

Alex is correct. Maybe you have one sheet, but WFP imported the sheet names as well. The problem would be that you have in TXML itself "Sheet 1" repeated in more than one target segment, for example.

In WFP TXML, search for the word "Feuil" and check the translation of the sheet names; they should be different. The common mistake is to have the same number.

I hope this helps. Please let us know.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

wiltom
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Debriefing! Sep 16, 2011

Hello and thank you for your time.

I am not exactly sure how I managed to sort it out; I did change the file and sheet names as suggested but that didn’t make any difference. In the end I downloaded OpenOffice and opened my Excel file in their Calc programme. I then opened the OO document in Wordfast and carried on working. I managed to save the file but instead of a column in French and a column in English in the ‘translated file’ I only had the English column in place of the French. I then just copied the column into my original Excel document and all was OK with the world!
Sometimes, something’s in life (and IT) cannot be explained!!

Thanks again.

NB: I translate quite a lot of Excel files, this is the first time that I have had this problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem saving translated Excel file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search