Why the difference in segments is not always highlighted?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:39
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 24, 2011

Hello experts,

I have Wordfast Pro's 2.3.0 version. Sometimes, the difference in the sentence
being translated and one available in the memory is shown as highlighed in
yellow underneath the interface but this difference is not always shown. If the
difference is highlighted, it becomes very convenient to amend or change the
sentence being translated but if the difference is not shown, I have to read the
whole sentence minutely so as to know where is the difference.

Why the difference in the sentence being translated and the sentence in the
memory is not always highlighted?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:09
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's how it works Sep 24, 2011

That is just the way Wordfast works, it only shows you the text in the TM that is not in the segment you are translating, but it does not show you the text that is the segment and not in the TM.

This is because Wordfast only highlights the TM lookup area so any text that does not appear in the TM lookup area cannot be highlighted.

An example

"Today it's raining, yesterday it was sunny", let's say this is your TM text.

"Today it's sunny, yesterday it was raining", let's say this one is the segment you are translating.

In this case the "raining" and "sunny" of the TM text in the TM lookup area will be highlighted in yellow, as this is text that replaces text that appears in the TM.

Now let's say the segment you are translating says

"Today it's very sunny, yesterday it was raining"

In this case the "raining" and "sunny" in the TM lookup area will also be highlighted in yellow but there won't be any mention of the "very" because that text does not appear in the TM and Wordfast does not highlight text in the segment you are working in.

I don't know if Wordfast intend to change this or not, as I imagine it would require extensive programming, but it would be good for the segment to be translated to also shows highlights, unfortunately it doesn't.

P.D.: I would also suggest changing to the latest version (it does not solve this problem) as it is always best to work with the latest version of the program

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:39
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alex, thanks so much... Sep 24, 2011

for explaining it in detail.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why the difference in segments is not always highlighted?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search