Thread poster: Dorine Oz-Vermeulen

Dorine Oz-Vermeulen
Netherlands
Local time: 16:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 25, 2011

Hi everybody,

Hopefully somebody will be able to help me asap (why do problems only occur when you have a large project with strict deadline ..??)!

I have the following problem, and cannot figure out what it is. Haven't done anything different from all the previous projects I have done with WP.

- I have created a new project and tried to open a new TM. After browsing (and choosing Desktop, as I always do) and giving the TM a name (program indicates that it will be saved as a .TM file on the chosen location), I click OK, and then the program gets jammed.
The previous little window (with name and location) is still half open, and so is the larger TM-window. Cannot close them and cannot reach main WP. Have to shut everything down with task manager.

I have upgraded to the latest, fully licensed, WP version 2.4.3.1., but this doesn't help either.

Can somebody help me out, please?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-09-25 18:50 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andre Dumoulin  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 10:03
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
you mean Wordfast version 2.4.3.1 Sep 25, 2011

Dorine Oz-Vermeulen wrote:

I have upgraded to the latest, fully licensed, WP version 2.4.3.1., but this doesn't help either.
Can somebody help me out, please?
Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-09-25 18:18 GMT]

Have you tried "Wordfast anywhere"? It is free and powerful.
Regarding Wordfast pro, if you have the fully licensed version they provide technical support.

Dorine Oz-Vermeulen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro 2.4.3.1 Sep 25, 2011

Thank you, Andre!

Yes, I know I can get support, but I have not purchased the hotline support, and I was hoping to receive help faster on this forum. Especially as it is the weekend and I am pressed for time.

And I do plan to have a look at Anywhere, but right now I just do not have the time to familiarize myself with a new system.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 17:03
English to Arabic
OPEN Sep 25, 2011

Dear Dorine,

Which button you are trying to use. For opening an existing TM, please make sure you click OPEN (not "new").

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Dorine Oz-Vermeulen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro TM Sep 25, 2011

Hi Yasmin,

I clicked NEW, because I want to open a new TM, as it is a new project and I have not yet generated a TM / there is no existing TM yet for this project.

I have created the new project, opened the file, and when creating the New TM, I get stuck. Hope this is clear.

Thanks.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Another location Sep 25, 2011

Dear Dorine,

Could you please try to save it into another location, say the D partition.

If this does not help, pleas try to use an old TM after changing its name and location. You can later remove the extra translation units.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Dorine Oz-Vermeulen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WFP TM failure Sep 25, 2011

Hi Yasmin,

Thank you for your advise, but it's not working.

I am working on my work-laptop and do not have a D partition.
So I tried to open an existing TM, which I had moved to my desktop, but when locating it and clicking "open", the "location" field (next to "Browse") remains empty.
When I close this field, the window with my list of local TMs (this window is titled: "Preferences (filtered)" ) remains open / jammed and cannot be closed.

Thanks again!

Egypt
English to Arabic
Uninstall Sep 25, 2011

Dear Dorine,

If you still have problems, you can completely uninstall Wordfast Pro. When you are asked to keep configuration files, answer with "NO" - remember NO.

Make sure you first back up (Export) your glossaries, if any. Then, try re-installing the latest version of Wordfast Pro; hopefully, it could resolve that.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Dorine Oz-Vermeulen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wordfastPro failure to open new TM Sep 26, 2011

Hello Yasmin,

I was uncomfortable with the uninstall option ... so we tried a lot of different options (thought that maybe it was a problem with Java), and finally got it working by disabling the Windows firewall and the firewall of my virus protection program.
Pfffeww!

Created a new TM and am working on my project as we speak
And have enabled both firewalls again.

Will try other options you mentioned when I have some more time, and in case the same problem reoccurs.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordfastPro failure to open new TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search