Translating and proof-reading of partially translated excel-file?
Thread poster: Anders Dalström

Anders Dalström
Germany
Local time: 00:23
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 25, 2011

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Wordfast Pro (v.2.4.2).

I now have an Excel-file containing one column with the source text (EN) and one column which has been partially translated (SV). The client wants me to proof-read the existing Swedish text and translate any segments which haven't yet been translated. Is there any way to do this in WFP?

Thanks,
Anders

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:23
Finnish to French
You can be both translator and proofreader Sep 26, 2011

Anders Dalstrom wrote:
I'm fairly new to Wordfast Pro (v.2.4.2).
I now have an Excel-file containing one column with the source text (EN) and one column which has been partially translated (SV). The client wants me to proof-read the existing Swedish text and translate any segments which haven't yet been translated. Is there any way to do this in WFP?

WFP hasn't got the concept of roles, eg. translator or proofreader. This means you can be both: proofreader for the already translated segments and translator for those not yet translated. The problem is all segments will look the same once you've proofread and translated everything, because WFO cannot indicate the difference via their status. If it is deemed important to distinguish proofread from translated segments afterwards, you could (as a workaround) mark segments proofread by you as unconfirmed (Alt+Enter). The main thing is that you reach an agreement on the basis of your fee for this job: how much you will be paid for the proofreading and how much for the translating.

Anders Dalström
Germany
Local time: 00:23
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding already translated segements Sep 26, 2011

Thanks Dominique. Deadline was this morning so had to think on my feet. In the end I copied the file into a word document and hid the segments that had already been translated and imported the new file into WFP, did the translation and then copied and pasted it into the original file. Not ideal, but it did the job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating and proof-reading of partially translated excel-file?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search