Wordfast Classic 6.0: Matches not recognized
Thread poster: Valeria Vergara

Valeria Vergara  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 25, 2011

Fellow Wordfast Users,
I am new to Wordfast (and to CAT tools in general!). I just purchased Wordfast Classic 6.0 a couple of days ago (after using the demo for a little while) and have been translating a document quite smoothly...until today. Quite suddenly, 100% matches and fuzzy matches are not longer recognized. I consistently see segments that I know I translated before (it is a long and repetitive document), but the central delimiter shows a zero. I am given a set of possible sentences , labelled TM1 and TM2, to choose from for the Target bar, but these options are bad google-like translations, not the clear translations of previous identical sentences, stored in the TM. I opened the TM and verified it, and the segments that should pop up as matches are still there, yet they do not pop up. I ended the session, went back to the beginning of the document and looked at the segments that I already translated, and the problem seems to be that the central delimiters between the document’s source segments and the target segments are all set to zero. For example:
The client will evaluate the risks. El cliente evaluará los riesgos. The central delimiter between both is 0.In this case, should not the central delimiter be 100? Why are my delimiters set to zero?
Any help with this would be much appreciated!

[Edited at 2011-09-25 22:37 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try latest version Sep 26, 2011

Go to the Wordfast site and download the latest version. I am using 6.01g. But it is not the latest version.

You can make a test. Write a sentence into a new doc and press Enter and copy the same sentence below. WF should now show a 0 % match for the first instance and after you write the translation and press Alt+down it should find a 100 % match for the second (green background and the translation copied from TM into the target segment).

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Troubleshooting unrecognized matches Sep 26, 2011

Thank you Heinrich for your reply! I am a bit hesitant to download the version that follows 6.01g, because it is a beta version...However, I did the test you suggest: I opened a new doc, wrote a sentence, pressed ‘enter’ and copied the same sentence below. WF of course showed a 0% match for the first instance but after I wrote the translation and pressed Alt+Down it found a 100% match for the second. So it worked on the new document. I should also clarify (in case it helps to find a solution) that this word document I am working on is linked to an EXCEL file. I am essentially translating a very large Excel File, which I have opened alongside the word document, and every time I translate a segment and press Alt Down, it jumps automatically on to the next cell in Excel, and its content gets automatically copied to the Word doc - a great feature...except maybe that is the problem. I thought that perhaps the excel-linked word document I am working on is corrupted or something. So I closed it and began working on a NEW word document, which still recognized that I was “reading” off of the Excel file, but still did not recognize the matches at al. I also opened the TM text file directly and used “find” to look for the some sentences that I knew I was repeating (but that appeared as a 0% match), and found those in the memory! For some reason, for this particular document, the program refuses to identify matches. I also opened an entirely new Word document and linked that one to where I had left off on the excel file, and began working on that new file making sure I used the same TM, and the problem persisted: everything was a 0% match. Could it be that Wordfast 6.01g simply does not work properly when linked to Excel Files? I just wrote the Wordfast hotline again and am awaiting their response, I will post here again if a solution is found.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:44
French to English
Excel Sep 26, 2011

It does sound like excel may be the culprit here, why not do a short test based on alternative method 2 described in below link, maybe that will work better for you?

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translating_Excel_files_in_Wordfast

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can Wordfast Classic 6 truly handle Excel files? Sep 26, 2011

Hi Lori, thanks for the link! They look like good alternative options. I have been getting around this by simply copying each cell from excel as I go, pasting it manually onto a Word document that is not linked to Excel, translating as usual (so the translated segments go into the TM), and then copying the target text from word and pasting it in the corresponding cell in excel. A somewhat cumbersome problem, but it gets around the issue of the lack of matches. The Wordfast support folks have been trying to help, to their credit, but no solution has been found yet. They looked at my TM and it is fine (not corrupted). They suggested that Wordfast Classic is not designed to handle Excel files well! If Wordfast Classic 6 is indeed not designed to handle Excel files, however, then the company should not advertise that it can! My Excel file is not even really complex, just long...Oh CAT tools.

France
French to English
It has always been a little buggy... Sep 26, 2011

I am positive that earlier versions didn't have the problem you are experiencing, it could just be a bug related to your particular Wordfast version, but honestly, I have always found working directly with WFC and Excel files (or ppt files) to be a little buggy and unreliable, with limitations on what I would like to do. I do handle lots of Excel files via Wordfast, but always with an extra step (via word as described in the article).

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved with newer version 6.02g Sep 26, 2011

So it was indeed a 'buggy' version after all! After much trial and error, and an online meeting with the support team (very helpful), they sent me a very new version 6.02g that appears to be working quite well...fingers crossed!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I never did this Sep 27, 2011

If I use WFC with Excel-content I always copy the whole content into a Word file and translate there. After cleanup I copy back. Sometimes it helps to use OpenOffice Calc instead of Excel, then no additional cells are created at line-breaks.

But nowadays I use WFP for Excel-files. I recommend it, because it lets you put the translation where it it supposed to be, not in place of the source text as with other tools.

France
French to English
comments Sep 27, 2011

Valeria, that's really the great thing about the Wordfast team, I'm glad they found you a solution!

Heinrich, do you mean that WFP can be set so that source stays in column A, and target goes to column B - so you get a bilingual file after exporting? If I understood you right, that's a very interesting feature. How does WFP handle cells with multiple formatting changes within the same cell (that's an issue I sometimes have with WFC)?

Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Same problem here! Oct 6, 2011

Hi all!

I have the same problem Valeria had with WFC version 6.01g. The only difference is that I was not translating an Excel file...

I couldn't find the brand new version 6.02g at WF site. Is it going to be available soon? If not, how can I get it?

Thank you!

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Ctrl+Alt+P Oct 6, 2011

Dear Christina,

Your problem might be different. Please press Ctrl+Alt+P and copy the resulted report.

Log-in (wordfast.net > support > login) with your login email and password mentioned on your invoice. Click on 'Contact the Hotline' and submit your ticket.

Describe your problem and paste the report text at the end.

Many thanks in advance!

Yasmin

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Excel Oct 7, 2011

Thank you Yasmin!

I think I know what happened... A couple of months ago, I translated an Excel file - but with WFC 5.0 , and I activated an Excel command in PB. So before I submit a ticket I'll try to find out if this could be the "bug".

One can learn a lot from these reports

Thanks!

Christina

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not a bug ... Oct 10, 2011

Simple solution I disabled the comand: ExcelByColumn and problem is solved.

Thank you again, Yasmin!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic 6.0: Matches not recognized

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search