Trying to install Wordfast in Office 2007
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
German to English
Oct 4, 2011

Having got myself a new computer with Windows 7 as an operating system, I am trying to reinstall Wordfast Classic in Word 2007 (I previously had it running in Office 97 under Windows XP) but am just getting nowhere.
I have the message "Wordfast has been installed", and I can see that wordfast.dot is listed under "Add-ins", but I don't have the Wordfast toolbar and don't know how to make it appear (I know that Word 2007 has add-ins instead of toolbars, but I still need to make the toolbar/add-in visible in a Word document). Any ideas as to what I should do?

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:00
English to French
+ ...
What version Oct 4, 2011

Depending on the version of WfC you are using, there are different issues.

The best forum for WfC questions is the Yahoo Wordfast Group, which YC (the developer) monitors.

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Have you tried ctrl+alt+w Oct 4, 2011

Or ctrl+alt+w twice? This key combination should launch Wordfast (from Word of course).

Regards,

Olly

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
clrl+alt+w doesn't do anything Oct 5, 2011

ctrl+alt+w (either once or twice) doesn't do anything at all

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:00
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Wordfast Classic in Word 2007 Oct 5, 2011

Click on the Office Button at the top left of Word 2007;

Click on 'Word Options' (at the bottom of the window, which opens);

Click on 'Trust Center';

Click on 'Enable all macros' (NB It might be a good idea to go back to the default macro setting when you have finished your translation) - OK;

Click on 'Add-Ins' and select 'Require Application Add-ins to be signed by trusted Publisher' - OK;

Click on 'Trusted Locations' - Add new location (where Wordfast.dot is stored) - OK;

Click on 'Add-Ins' - Manage Word Add-ins - Select Wordfast.dot
(if you don't see it, then click on 'Add' and find your Wordfast.dot, select it and click OK).

That should (if I haven't missed anything!) ensure that Wordfast is accessible in Word 2007.

Good luck!

Regards,

Michael J.H. Davies,
MJD Translating,
Denmark

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but still no toolbar Oct 5, 2011

Thanks, Michael - I've done everything you describe but I still don't have Wordfast working. wordfast.dot is in the list of add-ins and in the Word startup folder, but it doesn't make a blind bit of difference when I start up Word - there is still no Wordfast icon or toolbar to get me started. Although Wordfast is listed under "add-ins" via the route you describe, there is nothing under add-ins on the tab at the head of a Word document, so I'm still flummoxed.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
If it's any comfort... Oct 5, 2011

... I had the same issues when I switched to Windows 2007 and Word 2007 earlier this year and it was extremely frustrating. The problem is (and I know this isn't going to be very helpful to you!), I can't remember what actually made it work in the end after much fiddling around. I seem to remember that the Ctrl Alt W tip did help. The toolbar ends up in a slightly different place, right at the top of the Word window above all the other toolbars and there's a button with a small coloured flower on it, which if you click on it, should expand the rest of the Wordfast toolbar and then leave that in situ. I think that's what happened at any rate. Having found it, it's always been there ever since! If I don't use full screen some of the icons disappear again but are always there if I click on the expand toolbar >> sign at the end of the top toolbar. Hope this makes a little sense - I'm only sorry I didn't write down the whole sequence, but you end up trying so many things that you can't remember what actually did the trick.

One other thing is that I upgraded to Wordfast 6 rather than the version I was working with (5.52, I think), and that seemed to help matters too. I was stubbornly sticking with the old version as I use the companions a lot and the old version of Word kept crashing when I tried to use the newer companions (Word based rather than Internet explorer based). They work a treat with the new system once I'd activated the Ctrl Alt M/G twice in rapid succession and I actually think its much better (both Word and the newer Wordfast) once I'd gone through the learning curve!

Good luck!

Claire

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Phew, seems to be solved Oct 5, 2011

Like Claire, I have eventually solved the problem, although without knowing how - repeated attempts at re-installing and at following the various steps that people have described eventually cracked it, so at last I can get down to work again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trying to install Wordfast in Office 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search