Is it possible to know the number of segments/source/target words in a WFP memory?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:29
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 5, 2011

Hi experts,

I have Wordfast Pro 2.3.0. I tried to locate the feature for knowing the number of segments, source words and target words in my translation memory but in vain. (I can know the number of segments in Trados Freelance 7.0)

Is it possible in WFP at all? If so, could you please tell me the procedure for doing so?

Regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2011-10-05 14:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:59
English to Arabic
Analysis Oct 6, 2011

Dear Chopra,

You can use the Toolbar Button "Analyze" for analyzing the currently open file against the currently selected TM(s).

Otherwise, you can use the PM Perspective "Analyze" function, especially for multiple files:

- Go to PM Perspective by clicking the last button on the left bar.
- Under "Analysis" tab, click "Add files" button.
- Select the folder where the file is saved.
- Make sure you select the proper filter; click OK.
- Select the folder or expand it to select a specific file.
- Select the TM.
- You can also select the option “Pre-translate" and set the percentage.
- Click "Analyze", and wait until the report appears; click OK to close it.
- Go Back to TXLM Editor Perspective.
- Go to the "File" menu and "Open" the file whose extension is TXML.
- Translate as usual.

HTH,
Yasmin

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:29
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Yasmin, but... Oct 7, 2011

Dear Yasmin,

I am thankful to you for your informative and detailed answer as always, but it does not relate to the issue raised by me. I want to know is there a method to know the number of segments/source/target words present in a translation memory. I am aware of the Analyze feature of WFP.

In Trados, we can know the number of segments in a memory (Translator's Workbench>File>Properties>Translation Units). I am not sure whether this feature exists in WF Pro.

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

You can use the Toolbar Button "Analyze" for analyzing the currently open file against the currently selected TM(s).

Otherwise, you can use the PM Perspective "Analyze" function, especially for multiple files

Egypt
English to Arabic
TM Administration Oct 11, 2011

Dear Chopra,

Please go Edit menu > Preferences > TM Administration > Minimum segments that can be retrieved at a time, and change the number to 1000000 or so. Apply.

Then, go to "TM Administration Perspective" (Ctrl+F8), now you should be able to see the last ID which refers to the number of TUs in the TM.

HTH,
Yasmin

Movingpix  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Trial ver Oct 12, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Chopra,

Please go Edit menu > Preferences > TM Administration > Minimum segments that can be retrieved at a time, and change the number to 1000000 or so. Apply.

Then, go to "TM Administration Perspective" (Ctrl+F8), now you should be able to see the last ID which refers to the number of TUs in the TM.

HTH,
Yasmin

Hi Yasmin

I don't see this part on the Trial ver. of WF Pro.

TM Administration > Minimum

Is that only for the full version?

thank you very much,

Egypt
English to Arabic
Yes Oct 12, 2011

Yes, indeed; the TM Administration requires the full version.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to know the number of segments/source/target words in a WFP memory?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search