Thread poster: Argentine Translator

Argentine Translator
Argentina
Local time: 11:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2011

I have a Word document.
According to MS Word 2007, it has 41,214 words.
Worfast Pro 2.4.1 rendered the following analysis:
Total: 31,530 words (3,806 internal tags found. Tags are not included in this report.)
Which is the real number of words I will have to translate?
Thanks and regards, AT

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's up to you Oct 8, 2011

It depends on whether your agreement with the client establishes one format or the other.

For example, my own basic rate is based on the MS Word count. I pre-arrange this with my own direct clients, who are largely unconcerned, and usually unaware that such differences exist. Agencies, however, are another kettle of fish.

My usual list of terms and conitions includes the following:
"Nota:
1) Las tarifas arriba mencionadas son aplicables a los documentos de texto en WORD o compatible (de fácil manejo). Los documentos en otros formatos (PDF, PageMaker, HTML, FreeHand, Open Office, etc.) se tasan en función de su nivel de complejidad y el tiempo real necesario para su traducción/revisión. "

However, this does not mean I am taking unscrupulous advantage of my clients. Just this week I allowed one client a 50% discount (unsolicited) on one job because of the amount of repetitions involved. I can afford to do this because the client accepts my rates in the first place and trusts me not to "take the mickey".

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
Are there extensive tables with numbers? Oct 8, 2011

That could be the reason for the discrepancy, as wordfast does not count numbers on their own (in table cells, for example) as words, but Word does.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Big discrepancy between MS Word and WFPro word count

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search