Exchange TMs with trados sdl users?
Thread poster: Cinzia Pasqualino

Cinzia Pasqualino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2011

Hi,

I use often wordfast 5 classic, omega t. An agency asked me:

"Do you know how to exchange TMs with Trados SDL users?" I don't Know it! How I do it with wordfast?

Thanks
Cinzia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jorge Omenat  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:21
Member
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Exchanging TMs between Wordfast and TRADOS Oct 7, 2011

This short article shows how to exchange Translation Memories (TMs) between TRADOS and Wordfast using the .txm format.

The .txm Format

The .txm format is the standard format for exchanging Translation Memories between CAT tools like Wordfast or TRADOS. Both TRADOS and Wordfast can import TMs saved in the .txm format and exchange them.

Note that it is not possible to exchange TMs in the .txt format because Wordfast and TRADOS use different format.

Selecting a TRADOS TM in Wordfast

Selecting or importing a TRADOS TM in Wordfast is simple. Open Wordfast and click the Setup icon on the Wordfast toolbar. The Setup icon is the far right icon in the Wordfast toolbar. You can also select the Setup menu entry in the Wordfast menu.

Then, in the Setup dialog, click the Select. Here you can select the TRADOS TM from the folder where you have saved it. Now, Wordfast uses this TRADOS TM for your translation.

Selecting a Wordfast TM in TRADOS

TRADOS too offers an option to import .txm files from Wordfast. Refer to your TRADOS manual how to import .txm files in TRADOS.

Source :http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/article101.htm


Direct link Reply with quote
 

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:21
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Should be .tmx? Oct 8, 2011

Jorge, I assume you mean .tmx and not .txm, right?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cinzia Pasqualino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:21
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exchange TMs with trados sdl users Oct 8, 2011

Jorge Omenat wrote:

This short article shows how to exchange Translation Memories (TMs) between TRADOS and Wordfast using the .txm format.

The .txm Format

The .txm format is the standard format for exchanging Translation Memories between CAT tools like Wordfast or TRADOS. Both TRADOS and Wordfast can import TMs saved in the .txm format and exchange them.

Note that it is not possible to exchange TMs in the .txt format because Wordfast and TRADOS use different format.

Selecting a TRADOS TM in Wordfast

Selecting or importing a TRADOS TM in Wordfast is simple. Open Wordfast and click the Setup icon on the Wordfast toolbar. The Setup icon is the far right icon in the Wordfast toolbar. You can also select the Setup menu entry in the Wordfast menu.

Then, in the Setup dialog, click the Select. Here you can select the TRADOS TM from the folder where you have saved it. Now, Wordfast uses this TRADOS TM for your translation.

Selecting a Wordfast TM in TRADOS

TRADOS too offers an option to import .txm files from Wordfast. Refer to your TRADOS manual how to import .txm files in TRADOS.

Source :http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/article101.htm


Thanks Jorge,

can I ask you if is it possible with Trados 7 freelance?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jorge Omenat  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:21
Member
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Should be .tmx? Oct 8, 2011

IrimiConsulting wrote:

Jorge, I assume you mean .tmx and not .txm, right?


Yes, sorry. It's a mistake that appears in the original post (http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/article101.htm)

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:40 GMT]

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:41 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jorge Omenat  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:21
Member
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Exchange TMs with trados sdl users Oct 8, 2011

Cinzia Pasqualino wrote:

Jorge Omenat wrote:

This short article shows how to exchange Translation Memories (TMs) between TRADOS and Wordfast using the .txm format.

The .txm Format

The .txm format is the standard format for exchanging Translation Memories between CAT tools like Wordfast or TRADOS. Both TRADOS and Wordfast can import TMs saved in the .txm format and exchange them.

Note that it is not possible to exchange TMs in the .txt format because Wordfast and TRADOS use different format.

Selecting a TRADOS TM in Wordfast

Selecting or importing a TRADOS TM in Wordfast is simple. Open Wordfast and click the Setup icon on the Wordfast toolbar. The Setup icon is the far right icon in the Wordfast toolbar. You can also select the Setup menu entry in the Wordfast menu.

Then, in the Setup dialog, click the Select. Here you can select the TRADOS TM from the folder where you have saved it. Now, Wordfast uses this TRADOS TM for your translation.

Selecting a Wordfast TM in TRADOS

TRADOS too offers an option to import .txm files from Wordfast. Refer to your TRADOS manual how to import .txm files in TRADOS.

Source :http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/article101.htm


Thanks Jorge,

can I ask you if is it possible with Trados 7 freelance?


I think so by using .TMX files.
See that: TMs created in TRADOS 7 Freelance cannot be opened in earlier versions of Workbench (http://esl.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/31670-tms_created_in_trados_7_freelance_cannot_be_opened_in_earlier_versions_of_workbench.html)

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:39 GMT]

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:39 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:21
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Oct 8, 2011

Trados 7 supports TMX as well.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exchange TMs with trados sdl users?

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search