https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/209404-exchange_tms_with_trados_sdl_users.html

Exchange TMs with trados sdl users?
Thread poster: Cinzia Pasqualino
Cinzia Pasqualino
Cinzia Pasqualino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:30
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2011

Hi,

I use often wordfast 5 classic, omega t. An agency asked me:

"Do you know how to exchange TMs with Trados SDL users?" I don't Know it! How I do it with wordfast?

Thanks
Cinzia

Jorge Omenat
Jorge Omenat  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Exchanging TMs between Wordfast and TRADOS Oct 7, 2011

This short article shows how to exchange Translation Memories (TMs) between TRADOS and Wordfast using the .txm format.

The .txm Format

The .txm format is the standard format for exchanging Translation Memories between CAT tools like Wordfast or TRADOS. Both TRADOS and Wordfast can import TMs saved in the .txm format and exchange them.

Note that it is not possible to exchange TMs in the .txt format because Wordfast and TRADOS use different format.

... See more
This short article shows how to exchange Translation Memories (TMs) between TRADOS and Wordfast using the .txm format.

The .txm Format

The .txm format is the standard format for exchanging Translation Memories between CAT tools like Wordfast or TRADOS. Both TRADOS and Wordfast can import TMs saved in the .txm format and exchange them.

Note that it is not possible to exchange TMs in the .txt format because Wordfast and TRADOS use different format.

Selecting a TRADOS TM in Wordfast

Selecting or importing a TRADOS TM in Wordfast is simple. Open Wordfast and click the Setup icon on the Wordfast toolbar. The Setup icon is the far right icon in the Wordfast toolbar. You can also select the Setup menu entry in the Wordfast menu.

Then, in the Setup dialog, click the Select. Here you can select the TRADOS TM from the folder where you have saved it. Now, Wordfast uses this TRADOS TM for your translation.

Selecting a Wordfast TM in TRADOS

TRADOS too offers an option to import .txm files from Wordfast. Refer to your TRADOS manual how to import .txm files in TRADOS.

Source :http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/article101.htm
Collapse

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Should be .tmx? Oct 8, 2011

Jorge, I assume you mean .tmx and not .txm, right?

Cinzia Pasqualino
Cinzia Pasqualino  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exchange TMs with trados sdl users Oct 8, 2011

Jorge Omenat wrote:

The .txm Format

Selecting or importing a TRADOS TM in Wordfast is simple. Open Wordfast and click the Setup icon on the Wordfast toolbar. The Setup icon is the far right icon in the Wordfast toolbar. You can also select the Setup menu entry in the Wordfast menu.

Then, in the Setup dialog, click the Select. Here you can select the TRADOS TM from the folder where you have saved it. Now, Wordfast uses this TRADOS TM for your translation.

TRADOS too offers an option to import .txm files from Wordfast. Refer to your TRADOS manual how to import .txm files in TRADOS.

Thanks Jorge,

can I ask you if is it possible with Trados 7 freelance?

Jorge Omenat
Spain
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Should be .tmx? Oct 8, 2011

IrimiConsulting wrote:

Jorge, I assume you mean .tmx and not .txm, right?

Yes, sorry. It's a mistake that appears in the original post (http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/article101.htm)

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:40 GMT]

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:41 GMT]

Jorge Omenat
Spain
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Exchange TMs with trados sdl users Oct 8, 2011

Cinzia Pasqualino wrote:

Jorge Omenat wrote:

The .txm Format

Thanks Jorge,

can I ask you if is it possible with Trados 7 freelance?

I think so by using .TMX files.
See that: TMs created in TRADOS 7 Freelance cannot be opened in earlier versions of Workbench (http://esl.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/31670-tms_created_in_trados_7_freelance_cannot_be_opened_in_earlier_versions_of_workbench.html)

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:39 GMT]

[Editado a las 2011-10-08 12:39 GMT]

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Oct 8, 2011

Trados 7 supports TMX as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exchange TMs with trados sdl users?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »