WordfastPro - solution needed to intrusive phantom glossary
Thread poster: Richard Sanders

Richard Sanders  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2011

After years of using Wordfast Classic, I just downloaded Wordfast Pro version 2.4.3.1 and have used it on three projects. I like working in the face to face (“table”) format over that of Wordfast Classic’s format, however there is a strange glitch occurring with my glossary which I urgently need a solution for.

The glitch is as follows: After choosing the glossary, the words in the source which are in my glossary appear in my chosen color in the source side of the document- so far so good; however in some instances when I place my cursor on the relevant source word, bogus target words which I have NOT entered in my glossary appear along with the actual target words I have entered. Additionally an apparently phantom totally bogus glossary, in a different color also appears in the source side- even though I have only selected one glossary.

To add insult to injury, in both bogus cases above, such target words usually have absolutely nothing to do with the source word.

Over and over again, I have asked myself how in the world that “target” word got in there? Upon checking and rechecking my glossary by going into it with the edit function, I have verified that the so called target word is NOT in my actual glossary- sometimes even the source word was not in my glossary.

I have also checked and double checked to make sure that I have not checked-off something which would permit machine translation. Does anyone know what might be causing these problems and what the solution might be?

I would like to continue using WordfastPro- mainly because of the face to face table format - but will not do so, nor would I recommend it, unless this problem is solved.

Thanks,
Rick Sanders

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 07:54
English to Arabic
Disable fuzzy terminology Oct 12, 2011

Dear Rick,

Please go to Edit menu > Preferences > Terminology, and check the option: "Disable fuzzy terminology".

HTH,
Yasmin

United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WordfastPro - intrusive phantom glossary solution Oct 12, 2011

Thanks, that did the trick!

Still, I wonder where did these fuzzy (i.e. useless) terms come from? How were these terms generated- internal to Wordfast or through some unintended internet link?

Thanks again for your help!
Rick

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 07:54
English to Arabic
Internal algorithms Oct 12, 2011

Dear Rick,

This happens though some algorithms by Wordfast Pro applied on the terms already on your terminology lists. This could be useless for you but useful for others based on what in the user glossaries.

This is called automatic fuzzy terminology recognition and you have disabled it. There is still the manual fuzzy terminology recognition by adding an asterisk (*) to, for example, the end of a single term to make it be recognized for the plural form as well.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2011-10-12 21:26 GMT]

United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 12, 2011

Got it, thanks again Yasmin.
Rick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordfastPro - solution needed to intrusive phantom glossary

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search