URGENT--WFP--target segments skip a line!
Thread poster: Cynthia Johnson

Cynthia Johnson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:31
French to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2011

Hello everyone,

I have a huge project and a deadline in 3 days so that's why it's urgent!

I had a problem yesterday trying to expand a segment, and for some reason WFP copied the source segment twice instead. I left it as is thinking I'd clean it up manually afterwards.

this morning, when I opened the file to resume work----there is a gap, all my target segments got shifted down one for like 400 segments!

more specifically:
source segment 430 then target segment 430 is blank, and the translation for source
segment 430 now appears in target segment 431.

How can I fix this? The only thing I see is to copy and paste but that would take like 2 days for all the hundreds and hundreds of target segments!

frankly, I've had enough of WFP and am ready to get out of it, clean up the file if possible and get back to Word and finish up manually. But if I try to clean it up now, with all the sources and targets not matching, will that work?

Im afraid of messing up the file even more. Im also in Demo mode, but it told me yesterday I've reached the limit and the TM won't work any more?

I dont care about the TM anymore, I just want to get my translation work back out of the program and move on.

Can anyone help me?
thanks
cynthia

Direct link Reply with quote

Cynthia Johnson  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe workaround? Oct 15, 2011

well, here's what I've tired:

I went back to an earlier back up version before this problem, from Tuesday.

then re-ran the translation from TM, hoping it'd pick up what I'd done since thuesday.

It worked for most segments, filled them in at the right places, except for segments I hadn't committed to the TM yet.

then I opened the recent version that has the segments not lined up right.
Scaled down to see which segments were still missing in the 'new'version and copied and pasted in those correct segments.

took about 2 hours, but worked and saved the file.

now I've cleaned up, and am going back to WORD!

but if anyone can think of a safer or better solution, or why this happened, I'd love to hear it!

thanks
cynthia

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Careful with expand segment Oct 17, 2011

Hi Cynthia,

With certain file types, you shouldn't use the expand segment feature (InDesign for one). I use it rarely and only if the source file is a word document.

This isn't really an answer you your question, looks like you found a solution already...

Best regards,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT--WFP--target segments skip a line!

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search