Why doesn't Wordfast PRO for Mac support PDF files?
Thread poster: ITProsSubtitles

ITProsSubtitles
Italy
Local time: 03:37
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 18, 2011

Despite what the website claims on www.wordfast.com there is no way I can open PDF files with Wordfast PRO on my MAC. Can anybody help? Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
What kind of PDF? Oct 18, 2011

Wordfast's claim is correct as WFP will extract text from "regular" PDF files (meaning those that were created using a DTP software).

But no CAT tool is currently supporting OCR or similar functions, which would consist in reading a scanned PDF and converting it into editable text.

Are you dealing with a scanned file which was wrapped in a PDF for convenience reasons? Do you get the message "An error has occurred. Please contact your administrator."?

PS: if you use the Acrobat Reader function "Save a copy in text format" and it does not work, WFP will probably not be able to extract the text from the PDF either.

[Edited at 2011-10-18 14:09 GMT]

ITProsSubtitles
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely NOT Oct 18, 2011

No Laurent, I am dealing with "regular" PDF files, the same that Trados Studio opens without any issues. I am saying there is no PDF support whatsoever because if I have a look at the supported filters in the option, there is no such thing as PDF there and if I click on "Open" and I click on the dropdown list of supported formats, PDF is not there either... Maybe it's because I am using this on a Mac? I hope someone from the WF support will turn up and let us know.

France
French to German
+ ...
Version 2.4.3.1 Oct 18, 2011

OK that's clear now.

However I see that this option exists in version 2.4.3.1 for Mac.

Let's wait for an answer from the Wordfast support, then.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:37
Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere does support OCR Oct 18, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
But no CAT tool is currently supporting OCR or similar functions, which would consist in reading a scanned PDF and converting it into editable text.

Actually, this is not quite true: Wordfast Anywhere does support OCR. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwYgFbWzpFQ

In fact, Wordfast Anywhere is a good alternative to Mac users for PDF conversion.

France
French to German
+ ...
Oops. Oct 19, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Actually, this is not quite true: Wordfast Anywhere does support OCR. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwYgFbWzpFQ

In fact, Wordfast Anywhere is a good alternative to Mac users for PDF conversion.

Indeed, Dominique. I forgot about that possibility which, I must say, I have tested - it works fine.

So my sentence should read: But no *computer-based CAT tool* is currently supporting OCR or similar functions, which would consist in reading a scanned PDF and converting it into editable text.

[Edited at 2011-10-19 07:14 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:37
Finnish to French
The site does say PDF conversion doesn't work on Mac Oct 22, 2011

Monica Paolillo wrote:
Despite what the website claims on www.wordfast.com

The site does warn PDF support is not available for Mac. See http://www.wordfast.com/support_issues.html

"PDF filter does not work on OSX"

The reason is that the PDF filter uses technology licensed from a 3rd party (BCL, http://www.pdfonline.com/index-b.htm), and that technology is only available for Windows.

Monica Paolillo wrote:
there is no way I can open PDF files with Wordfast PRO on my MAC. Can anybody help?

As has already been mentioned, use Wordfast Anywhere, which is free and will work on your Mac, since it's browser-based. Same with alignment (the aligner in Anywhere is better than the one in Pro anyway).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why doesn't Wordfast PRO for Mac support PDF files?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search