Help with Wordfast Pro somewhere?
Thread poster: FreeHansje

FreeHansje  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2011

Bear with me, this is part rant and part a plea for HELP.

I have started translating earlier this years and thus I am fairly new in this world. I purchased Trados Studio 2009 and am working fine with it. There are, however, many more CAT tools and I have read a lot of complaining about Trados. Wordfast is mentioned quite often, so I decided to DL a trial of WF Pro and installed it.
Installation seemed fine and I started the program. I receive an error about a javaw.exe program it can't find. Checking the DIR it should be in it's there, should be no problem at all. I went to the Wordfast Support page and can't find anything there on this error. AFAIK I can only claim support with WF as an after-sales option. Since I am on a trial... No user community, nada.
I did find a subject Starting WF for the first time. Reading this it suggests I open MS Word and then load wordfast.dot. What I have downloaded is an .EXE not a .DOT. I have search all my hard disks, but no wordfast.dot to be found...

So now I have 2 questions. How can I get this working?!? Is there anywhere some decent support to be found on this tool on the trial?

Second question: why is Wordfast considered a good alternative for Trados? As mentioned, I have no problem with Trados, and sofar Wordfast is a pain... I have read/up on Wordfast and it seems to be lacking features Trados routinely handles.

Any help_info is appreciated.


 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's cheaper Oct 24, 2011

FreeHansje wrote:

Is there anywhere some decent support to be found on this tool on the trial?

Second question: why is Wordfast considered a good alternative for Trados? As mentioned, I have no problem with Trados, and sofar Wordfast is a pain...
Any help_info is appreciated.


Is there anywhere some decent support to be found on this tool ? - Not really. You could try downloading and installing the .dot again (after removing the previous download), although I personally found the Pro version has too many bells and whistles as I try to keep mine stripped down to the minimum to avoid complications.

Wordfast is considered a good alternative for Trados because it is partially compatible (i. e., you can translate a doc in WF and the agency or client can convert and modify it with their Trados system if they have one). The learning curve is much shorter and less complex than with Trados, which is why many people like myself prefer it. And mainly because it is much, much cheaper than Trados.

However, as you say you are quite happy with Trados, I wouldn't bother wasting an more time on WF if I were you, as you obviously don't like and/or need it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

[Edited at 2011-10-24 09:42 GMT]


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Answers to your question (or: I have to type something as the "title" of my reply) Oct 24, 2011

FreeHansje wrote:
Wordfast is mentioned quite often, so I decided to DL a trial of WF Pro and installed it. ... Since I am on a trial... No user community, nada.


WF_PRO@yahoogroups.com

To subscribe, send a blank e-mail to WF_PRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and follow the instructions.

I did find a subject Starting WF for the first time. Reading this it suggests I open MS Word and then load wordfast.dot.


This relates only to Wordfast Classic. The version you downloaded initially was Wordfast Pro, not Classic. Wordfast Classic is a macro that runs in MS Word.

Second question: why is Wordfast considered a good alternative for Trados?


Because it can handle a similar range of input files and it has a similar workflow i.e. it also uses an intermediate bilingual XML format.



[Edited at 2011-10-24 09:43 GMT]


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
Finnish to French
Wordfast Pro is a Java application Oct 24, 2011

FreeHansje wrote:
Installation seemed fine and I started the program. I receive an error about a javaw.exe program it can't find.

Just in case, get the latest Java (Version 6 Update 29) at www.java.com and install it. Wordfast Pro is a Java application and it expects your Java setup is in good shape.


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Isn't Java bundled? Oct 24, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Just in case, get the latest Java (Version 6 Update 29) at www.java.com and install it. Wordfast Pro is a Java application and it expects your Java setup is in good shape.


Wouldn't Java be already bundled into the WFP installation file?


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
Finnish to French
Yes, Java is included in WFP Oct 24, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
Wouldn't Java be already bundled into the WFP installation file?

Yes, Java is included in the WFP distribution. However, it's probably a slightly older version (since build 29 was released just a few days ago) and it won't hurt if you install it separately. AFAIK and unlike some other software that shall remain unnamed, WFP doesn't force-feed its own Java version if it notices a newer one is already installed.


 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 09:17
English to Arabic
More Information Oct 24, 2011

Dear Hans,

FreeHansje wrote:

Installation seemed fine and I started the program. I receive an error about a javaw.exe program it can't find.


Could you please let me know your Operating System exactly. Also, when did you downloaded Wordfast? Again, can you send me the exact wording of the error message you got.


FreeHansje wrote:

I did find a subject Starting WF for the first time. Reading this it suggests I open MS Word and then load wordfast.dot. What I have downloaded is an .EXE not a .DOT. I have search all my hard disks, but no wordfast.dot to be found...


What you have downloaded is Wordfast Pro (stand-alone application). You can have a look here at how it looks like and how it works: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=149-35

However, the dot is for Wordfast Classic (MS Word Template). You can have a look at how it works here: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=99-27

All your questions are welcome!

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net


 

FreeHansje  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it working. Oct 24, 2011

Tnx for answering all, your replies have been very helpful.

Although I had Java installed I DL-ed the latest stable Java version and installed it again. I DL-ed the WFP trial again and installed it. And now it works...
I will not wonder why, just accept it.

Neilmac:
You are right, I am quite happy with Trados. However, some offered assignments ask for Wordfast, and since I can always use more assignments I decided to give it a try. The more skills I have the better, is my thought.
It is cheaper, but what are we talking about? €170 for WFP and less then €400 for Trados Studio 2009,a little over €650 for Trados 2011 including the previous 2 versions. Yes, much cheaper, but in absolute numbers I found the costs negligible.

Yasmen,
tnx for answering. Now I have some contact info I will not hesitate to contact you when questions arise.

Tnx again all.


 

FreeHansje  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am trying, but... Oct 25, 2011

... I really wonder why people are so ecstatic about Wordfast. It is cheaper, but I am guessing there is a reason for that.

Let me recap my first tryout. Mind, I have DL-ed WF Pro, not an older version, which may work completely different.
At first I was pleasantly surprised, the interface resembled in general my Trados interface. I had opened the WFP Help on the Internet and had read a few paragraphs on Getting Started. The info there IMO is scarce, but thought nothing about it. I opened a text file (German) and got told I needed to open a project first. I am used to a project being created in Trados when opening a new file, but ok, I created a project and then created a TM; pity I can't connect to Google Translate, this may be because of the limitations of a trial version. I wonder though if WFP offers such a connection. You mat laugh about this, but since I do not yet have large TM's I like to connect to Google Translate, it does help me.
I opened a file, this works fine, so far so good. Again, I saw a layout similar to what I was used to. Now to translate the first segment, but how to commit? On just ENTER I got a message telling me the translation is not committed to the TM, am I sure about this? No, I want it committed, and I have yet to find out how to do that...
I search HELP on the WF site and sure found a topic commit/uncommit. However, what is told there does not seem to work. An asterix is supposed to appear, and it does that. Then it says use a menu-option(Translation Memory=>Confirm/Unconfirm) or click the asterix. Alternatively I can do ALT=>ENTER.
Alas, nothing what I do commits this segment. No doubt I do something wrong or I don't understand what is explained. But if learning a tool is not intuitive then I loose interest very quickly.

So I wonder, I can't find a more detailed guide on the WF-site. Does anyone know of something like that?


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ecstatic Oct 25, 2011

FreeHansje wrote:
... I really wonder why people are so ecstatic about Wordfast.


A lot of the feeling about Wordfast stems from Wordfast Classic (WFC), from WFC's features, and WFC's simplicity, and the fact that the WFC developer had (at one stage) added lots of features that were requested by users even though those features were not regarded as mainstream at the time. So, the ecstacy is mosty historical.

Also, WFP was not released until it was fairly robust. Other new-kids-on-the-block CAT tools started out by releasing very weak versions and gradually building on it until it became good tools (e.g. OmegaT and MemoQ), but WFP was a solid CAT tool since the day it was released.

I opened a text file (German) and got told I needed to open a project first. I am used to a project being created in Trados when opening a new file, but ok, I created a project and then created a TM;


When I open an MS Word file in WFP, WFP immediately prompts me to create a project. All I have to fill in is a name for the project.

pity I can't connect to Google Translate, this may be because of the limitations of a trial version. I wonder though if WFP offers such a connection. You mat laugh about this, but since I do not yet have large TM's I like to connect to Google Translate, it does help me.


It may have something to do with the fact that Google Translate recently changed their service. In future, each user will have to purchase MT credits from GT and input that information in his CAT tool. Sooner of later GT in Trados will also stop working (closer to December, when Google finally shuts down the first version of GT).

Now to translate the first segment, but how to commit?


Alt+down goes to next segment and commits current segment. If you use any other method to move from one segment to another (e.g. using your mouse), the changes you have made are not committed until you use the "Commit to TM" menu item (which commits all segments in one swoop). The warning is simply that -- a warning.

But if learning a tool is not intuitive then I loose interest very quickly.


I agree -- the error messages can be quite obtuse, sometimes (in most programs that you try for the first time).


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Wordfast Pro somewhere?

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search