Bárbara Hammerle López-Francos
Bárbara Hammerle López-Francos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:12
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 1, 2011

Hi,
I have no experience with CAT tools, and now have to use worfast Pro. I have downloaded the user guide, but there are so many things that I am really confused. Is there a easy protocol with the most essential things you have to do in order to perform a successfull translation. Many thanks in advance!!!

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:12
English to Arabic
Start Nov 1, 2011

Dear Bárbara,

Wordfast Pro can translate doc files as follows:

- Create/open a project ("File" menu) and a translation memory.

- "Open" the source file (DOC) you want to translate ("File" menu).

- Insert the translation in the target cell and move to the next segment using Alt+Down.

- Make sure you insert the tags/placeables by using Ctrl+Alt+Right to select a tag and Ctrl+Alt+Down to insert it.

- After finalizing the
... See more
Dear Bárbara,

Wordfast Pro can translate doc files as follows:

- Create/open a project ("File" menu) and a translation memory.

- "Open" the source file (DOC) you want to translate ("File" menu).

- Insert the translation in the target cell and move to the next segment using Alt+Down.

- Make sure you insert the tags/placeables by using Ctrl+Alt+Right to select a tag and Ctrl+Alt+Down to insert it.

- After finalizing the translation, press Alt+End; "Save".

- Select "Save Translated file" from "File" menu to have the target translated file in the same original format (DOC) to send back to your client.

You can watch this interactive small video for guidance:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=149-35

Kind regards,
Yasmin
Collapse

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE:Start (Wordfast) Nov 2, 2011

Dear Yasmin,

many, many thanks for your reply. Both, your instructions, as well as the video have been very, very helpfull. No at least I can start working....

Another little question: what´s about PDF files. I tried to open one of them and it was not possible. I have the wordfast Pro version for mac and my computer is a Mac OS X 10.5.8. Do you have an idea?

Kind regards,
Bárbara

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
PDF Nov 2, 2011

Dear Bárbara,

I am afraid this is not available in Mac yet. You can use Wordfast Anywhere to convert such PDF files. Dominique describes this here:
http://youtu.be/ZwYgFbWzpFQ

HTH,
Yasmin

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! Nov 3, 2011

Many thanks again, Yasmin! That was another great help.

Best regards from Valencia,
Bárbara

Joao Marcelo Trovao
Joao Marcelo Trovao  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:12
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
PDF x Wordfast Pro Nov 3, 2011

Dear All,

I am so sorry I cannot tell you about Mac, as I use a PC, but I would like to take the chance you guys are talking about it and share a bit my experience with WF Pro and PDF.

The PDF editor inside WF Pro is even better than the Adobe Professional Editor. I could un-pdf files (to DOC) without any problem. Even if they had pictures, tables, etc. Of course sometimes small adjustments on the final DOC file were required. Sometimes friends ask me to un-pdf files fo
... See more
Dear All,

I am so sorry I cannot tell you about Mac, as I use a PC, but I would like to take the chance you guys are talking about it and share a bit my experience with WF Pro and PDF.

The PDF editor inside WF Pro is even better than the Adobe Professional Editor. I could un-pdf files (to DOC) without any problem. Even if they had pictures, tables, etc. Of course sometimes small adjustments on the final DOC file were required. Sometimes friends ask me to un-pdf files for them and I use WF Pro rather than Adobe Professional.

Once in a while, there would be a PDF it could not convert. Or because it was locked, or because it was a scan, or for a reason I do not know the PDF text was converted but just scrambled completely. This happened in 5% of the cases.

With large PDF files it could have some difficulty and get slow. My strategy was to split the files into 2 or 3 files, depending on the size, using adobe professional, and un-pdf them in WF Pro.

Hope I've been useful.

Sincer regards

Joao Marcelo
Collapse

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
un-PDF files Nov 3, 2011

Dear Joao Marcelo,

many thanks for your interesting comment. You say that you are able to un-PDF files in worfast-Pro with the PDF editor of wordfast-Pro. But how do you do that? Where can I find that PDF editor? I would greatly appreciate, if you could briefly tell me that, even you are working on a PC, so may be I can find out something for the Mac version as well....

Best wishes,
Bárbara

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
PC only Nov 3, 2011

The PDF "un-doer" is available only for the PC platform. Perhaps you could send your file to a colleague who uses the Windows version Wordfast, so that s/he converts it and sends it back to you.

Joao Marcelo Trovao
Brazil
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
WF PRO x PDF II Nov 3, 2011

Dear Bárbara,

I just open the PDF files like I open any ordinary file. After the text is segmented and I do the first alt + down, the WF Pro creates a DOC file in the same folder. The funny thing is that the PDF extension becomes part of the file name. Example: If I un-pdf a file named audit.pdf, the resulting DOC file will be called audit.pdf.doc.

Hope I have helped.

Best regards/freundliche Grüssen (is this correct? Just a silly attempt...)

... See more
Dear Bárbara,

I just open the PDF files like I open any ordinary file. After the text is segmented and I do the first alt + down, the WF Pro creates a DOC file in the same folder. The funny thing is that the PDF extension becomes part of the file name. Example: If I un-pdf a file named audit.pdf, the resulting DOC file will be called audit.pdf.doc.

Hope I have helped.

Best regards/freundliche Grüssen (is this correct? Just a silly attempt...)

Joao Marcelo
Collapse

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
un-PDF files Nov 3, 2011

Dear Joao,

many thanks and muito obrigado!!! Now I have an idea, but unfortunatly that seems not to work on a mac, since there is not even posible to open a PDF.....

Best regards and viele Grüsse,
Bárbara

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
un-PDF files Nov 3, 2011

Dear Epameinondas,

many thanks for your reply. So it seems that Mac-users always have some disadvantages....
((

Best wishes,
Bárbara

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Install a copy of Wordfast Pro in a virtual machine Nov 3, 2011

Bárbara Hämmerle López-Francos wrote:
many thanks for your interesting comment. You say that you are able to un-PDF files in worfast-Pro with the PDF editor of wordfast-Pro. But how do you do that? Where can I find that PDF editor? I would greatly appreciate, if you could briefly tell me that, even you are working on a PC, so may be I can find out something for the Mac version as well....

Even if you plan to do the actual translation on the Mac side, you can always install a copy of Wordfast Pro in a Windows virtual machine (provided you have set up such a thing, eg. with Parallels, Fusion or Virtualbox). The main thing is that you must run Wordfast pro in licensed mode (in order to have access to the PDF support), but this is not a problem for you, since you do have a license (nothing prevents you from installing two copies of Wordfast on your Mac, one on the Mac side, one on the Windows side).

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
YouTube video about PDF conversion with Wordfast Pro Nov 4, 2011

jmadlertrovao wrote:

The PDF editor inside WF Pro is even better than the Adobe Professional Editor. I could un-pdf files (to DOC) without any problem. Even if they had pictures, tables, etc. Of course sometimes small adjustments on the final DOC file were required. Sometimes friends ask me to un-pdf files for them and I use WF Pro rather than Adobe Professional.

You can see the PDF conversion performed by Wordfast Pro in the following video I just uploaded:
http://youtu.be/bGDzllw6CFI?hd=1

Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! Nov 4, 2011

Dear Dominique,

many thanks for your interesting comments. So I hope to get familiar with all this ASAP!!!

Best wishes,
Bárbara

Joao Marcelo Trovao
Brazil
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thanks for the link Nov 4, 2011

Hello Dominique

Thanks for the link. Kiitos!

Joao Marcelo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help to start using Wordfast Pro

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »