Translated document with comments (Word 2007)
Thread poster: Francesco Bucciol

Francesco Bucciol
Local time: 21:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2011

Hello everyone,

I've just finished translating a document with Wordfast and I've got a question before I clean it up.

The original text has lots of comments (in Word 7 they appear as speech bubbles on the margin of the text) and, as far as I can tell, these comments are anchored to the source text. My question is: when I clean up the file, will the comments disappear as well? Or is Wordfast smart enough to "re-anchor" them to the target text? I have been specifically asked to leave all the comments (and there are hundreds of them, so retyping them all is not an option).

Any help or suggestion would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance
Francesco

Bruce White
Local time: 21:04
German to English
Transferring comments in Word 2007 using Wordfast Classic Nov 2, 2011

Hi Francesco

The best thing is to try it and see what happens. Create a copy of your unclean file first and work with this so you can always go back if necessary.

Basically, cleaning the file deletes the source segment including the comment anchored to it, i.e. Wordfast Classic is not smart enough to re-anchor the comment (a bit like bookmarks).

My findings are as follows:

1. Comments are linked to the source segment. If a segment contains a comment, you therefore need to copy the source segment to the target segment before translating in order to copy the comment (Alt+Insert). You must do this even if the TM returns a match as the comment is not included in the TM.

2. Translate by overwriting the target segment making sure not to delete the parentheses that delimit the comment. (You can delete any text in the parentheses). This can be tricky and the comment must be visible so that you can see what you are doing. (To make the comments visible, select Print Layout view, then Review – Next under Comments. If you get a message saying that comments are hidden, click Show All. Alternatively, select Print Layout view, then select Final Showing Markup under Tracking).

3. After translation you should see the same comment duplicated in both the source and target segment in the uncleaned file. (Repeat the process under 2 to view them if necessary).

4. Clean the file. This appears to produce a bad segment, i.e. an uncleaned segment, for every segment with a comment. Cleaning the file again without any further action corrects this.

5. You should now find that the clean translated file contains all the comments (repeat the process under 2 to view them if necessary). Of course, the comments will not be translated. Cleaning the file deletes the source segments including the duplicate comments in these segments.

If you didn't copy the comments over during translation you will either have to copy the word(s) to which the comment is attached, including the parentheses, from the source to the target segment manually and edit accordingly, or re-open each segment with a comment and re-translate after using Alt+Insert to copy everything to the target segemnt. Either way, this sounds like a lot of work!

Good luck!

Bruce

[Edited at 2011-11-02 16:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated document with comments (Word 2007)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search