How to re-create a TM from a post-edited text? URGENT!
Thread poster: Tony M

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:34
French to English
+ ...
Nov 3, 2011

I have a pair of quite large documents, which I translated using Wordfast Classic (v5.2 something) under Word XP.

I have subsequently done some quite extensive editing in one of the files, and would like to find the quickest and most efficient way of transferring those edits to the other document, which contains large chunks of very similar text. It would of course also be ideal to update the TM at the same time, as there is likely to be future work on similar documents.

Unfortunately, the extensive editing was done on the cleaned file; so I don't know how to get the changes into my TM.

I did think about aligning the source text with the modified translation, but having done that, how can I then use the result to update my TM? Is there another way to do it?

Your urgent help would be much appreciated!

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Alignment Nov 3, 2011

Hi Tony,

Alignment is the way to go. This is how I would proceed:

1. Maker a backup copy of the TM used for the translation. If I understand correctly, this TM contains the original translation of file 1 (which has since been updated) and file 2 (which you want to update now).
2. Align the edited translation (of file 1) and the original text (of file 1) using PlusTools. In many cases this step is surprisingly fast.
3. Once you have the alignment TM ready, do not create a new TM from it. Instead, take the alignment table, copy it into Excel, and using the Concatenate function create a bilingual file from it, which you can subsequently clean up into the original project TM.

[It is of course possible to create a TM from the alignment table, which you have then to merge with the original TM, in such a way that TUs in the alignment TM take precedence over TMs in the original TM. This is not difficult, either, but the Excel method is simpler in my experience.]

4. Open the other bilingual file, and select the updated project TM.
5. Use the "Translate to fuzzy" option: this will stop at each sentence whose translation is different from the contents of the TM. This happens only when the translation was updated - i.e, when the alignment TM contained another translation, i.e., when you made edits in file 1.

Hope this will work out.
Best,
Attila

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Align Nov 3, 2011

Tony M wrote:

I did think about aligning the source text with the modified translation, but having done that, how can I then use the result to update my TM?

Easily - that's what aligners are for. Most of them produce a TMX that you can import. If your TM contains this job only, then throw it away, create a new TM and import the TMX from the alignment. If you have a larger TM with other material in it, the safest bet is to use a version that doesn't have the unedited "wrong" translation of this file. I'm sure WF has a setting to overwrite preexisting TUs during the import, but I prefer not to rely on that.

By the way, this is a fairly frequently occurring problem (I tend to do my final proofreading on a clean file, so some changes I make are not reflected in my TMs). It wouldn't be too difficult to come up with an automated algorithm for this that requires minimum human ineraction: export the 'bad' TM into a TMX, extract the target language segments, autoalign those with the new target language translations while conserving the segmentation of the 'bad' target language version (this autoalignment should need little to no revising, as the texts are virtually the same), then swap the new target segments into the original TMX. Perhaps I'll implement this in LF aligner - it mostly just requires a reshuffling of existing bits of functionality.

xxxinge van dri
German to Dutch
+ ...
I would do the same thing Nov 3, 2011

But two remarks;
- if the file contains numbers, then the Excel file will have lots of ##### and the PlusTools method of creating a TM should be used
- please note that you'll have to quit PlusTools after having created the alignment table, and then re-open it in order to create a TM
- I have bad experiences with 'Translate to fuzzy' and prefer to do this in a controlled manner, even if the files are big.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is what I ended up doing Nov 4, 2011

Thanks a lot, gentlemen, for you kind (and very prompt!) assistance.

Here's what I ended up doing:

I aligned the original [FR] file with the post-edited [EN] file using PlusTools — I had to do some manual corrections to the alignment, because of a recurring formatting problem with the source text, which messed up the segmentation.

I then created a TM from this aligned text, which I then simply copied and pasted onto the end of my original TM (I was a little unsure of using the Excel method, especially as my text did contain a lot of figures ;-( )

Of course, I made back up files at each step as I went along, so I could always revert if necessary.

When tacking the 'new' TM onto the end of the 'old' one, I did of course remember to remove its now superfluous header.

I reorganized the TM before I sued it again, I don't know if this was strictly necessary, but it did seem like a good idea!

So far, this seems to be working fine; most of the time, the system seems to present me the new, updated TU first; if there is any doubt, I only have to flip through the available TUs to see which one is the correct one; and while I'm at it, I take the opportunity of deleting any others I find if they are no longer relevant.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to re-create a TM from a post-edited text? URGENT!

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search