Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Local time: 17:25
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 7, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Having read the previous thread about the difficulties of handling big files in WFP, I would like to share my negative experience with middle-sized TMs.

The other day I imported a TMX file with 220.000 segments into WFP. I have to admit that the import process itself was quite fast and smooth. But after that, the software was not able to handle the memory at all. As I finished with a segment and tried to move to the next one, WFP needed at least 15 seconds to close the current segment, open the next one and complete TM lookup. I have already allocated the maximum available memory (1470 MB) to the software and switched to text view, but the problem still persist.

Now I am a bit helpless. I know exactly that one cannot compare WFP to memoQ or Trados, but I expected that this software is also able to handle AVERAGE sized translation memories and translation files. Or did I something wrong?

Thank you in advance for sharing your ideas, opinions and experience.

Best regards,

Gyula Erdész

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Finnish to French
Definitely not normal Nov 7, 2011

Gyula Erdész wrote:
Having read the previous thread about the difficulties of handling big files in WFP, I would like to share my negative experience with middle-sized TMs.

The other day I imported a TMX file with 220.000 segments into WFP. I have to admit that the import process itself was quite fast and smooth. But after that, the software was not able to handle the memory at all. As I finished with a segment and tried to move to the next one, WFP needed at least 15 seconds to close the current segment, open the next one and complete TM lookup. I have already allocated the maximum available memory (1470 MB) to the software and switched to text view, but the problem still persist.

Your problem is definitely not related to the size of the TM: I'm using a TM with 320,000 units and moving from one segment to the other only takes a fraction of a second (in table view). And I'm using 256 MB (ie. the smallest possible value) in memory preferences. What kind of document are you translating? Do you get the same problem even when translating shortish documents? I'm running WFO 2.4.4 on a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro laptop with an SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Big TM in WFP

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search