Thread poster: Monica Moreno

Monica Moreno  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 14, 2011

Hello
I use Wordfast Classic for my translation and recently an agency sent me an export of a Trados 2007 memory. I'm not sure how to import it into Wordfast, is it possible?
Thanks in advance for any help

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reposted in EN (thank you!)

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TMX Nov 14, 2011

Ask them to send you the TM in TMX format and you should be able to open it using Wordfast, which will convert it into Wordfast format. After doing this, you should check the TM in Wordfast's Data Editor, just to make sure that the Source and Target languages haven't got switched (that has happened to me) and that everything looks OK. If they have, it is simple to change them back using the Data Editor Tools.

Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes it is possible to convert Trados TM into Wordfast-Classic TMs Nov 14, 2011

Hello,
Yes it is possible to import Trados TMs into Wordfast-Classic, provided that the Trados user has converted his/her Trados TM into TMX format.
Wordfast-Classic/Wordfast-PRO can only use TXT format TMs that have been created by Wordfast and NOT by Trados.
Therefore if you receive a TXT format TM generated by Trados it will not work on your Wordfast-Classic/Wordfast-PRO.
I hope this will help you!
Bye
Paolo

Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 15, 2011

Thank your for your thorough responses.
I understand that there is no way to transform a TXT format TM generated by Trados into a TXT format Wordfast TM. Is this the case?
Thank you again

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You need Trados to do it Nov 15, 2011

Monica Moreno wrote:
I understand that there is no way to transform a TXT format TM generated by Trados into a TXT format Wordfast TM. Is this the case?

You can't do it in WF but you can in Trados. Simply open the memory in Trados Workbench and save it to tmx format, which you can then open in WF. This would only take your customer 1 minute!
Otherwise I read somewhere that you can do this with a free trial version of Trados.
As a one off, I could do it for you.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
Finnish to French
Use APSIC Xbench Nov 15, 2011

Monica Moreno wrote:
I use Wordfast Classic for my translation and recently an agency sent me an export of a Trados 2007 memory. I'm not sure how to import it into Wordfast, is it possible?

You need to use a third-party utility like APSIC Xbench, see:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=166-32

Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Nov 17, 2011

APSIC Xbench worked perfectly. Thank you all for your help

Mihaela Buruiana  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
The tmx file does not work when opened in Wordfast Classic Nov 15, 2013

Hi, everyone,

I've come across this thread while looking for a solution to my problem. Here it is:
I have a Trados memory, which the client sent to me in both txt and tmx formats. The txt format cannot be used in Wordfast Classic, as the latter does not recognise it as a Wordfast memory. OK. At this point I know I have to use the tmx format.
But when I select the tmx format in Wordfast, the memory displayed is the newly created txt file which has 0 units.
So I can't use the memory although Wordfast is supposed to be able to open tmx formats. What should I do?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Several possibilities Nov 15, 2013

Mihaela Buruiana wrote:
I have a Trados memory, which the client sent to me in both txt and tmx formats. The txt format cannot be used in Wordfast Classic, as the latter does not recognise it as a Wordfast memory.

As explained in previous posts, you can use ApSIC Xbench (the older, free 2.9 version is sufficient) to open the Trados TXT and export it as TMX:

http://www.xbench.net/index.php/download

The TMX exported from Xbench will most likely be recognized by Wordfast.
Mihaela Buruiana wrote:
OK. At this point I know I have to use the tmx format.
But when I select the tmx format in Wordfast, the memory displayed is the newly created txt file which has 0 units.
So I can't use the memory although Wordfast is supposed to be able to open tmx formats. What should I do?

You could try WfConverter, a free utility that can convert from TMX to Wordfast TXT and vice-versa. You'll find a link to it here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/11/03/convert-sdltm-and-sdltb-without-studio-and-multiterm/

Most likely, WfConverter will turn the TMX that originates from Trados into a valid Wordfast TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Trados memory into Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search