Can´t open pdf files in Wordfast Professional
Thread poster: Robelly

Robelly  Identity Verified
Ecuador
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 15, 2011

Hello,

I have Wordfast Professional 2.4.0.1., which is supposed to work with PDF files, and I have actually opened PDF files with it, but only once, almost a year ago.

Now I need to work on a PDF file and every time I try to open it I get this message:

"There was a problem while converting PDF document into word file."

I can´t open any PDF file now. I even tried opening the same file I had opened a year ago and it´s not possible.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Robelly

[Edited at 2011-11-15 15:50 GMT]

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:19
Member (2006)
French to English
Try WF Anywhere Nov 15, 2011

Hello Robelly,

I recommend going to www.freetm.com and using the free OCR pdf converter tool.

Good luck!

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
Finnish to French
Wordfast Pro doesn't work with scanned PDF's Nov 15, 2011

Robelly wrote:

I have Wordfast Professional 2.4.0.1., which is supposed to work with PDF files, and I have actually opened PDF files with it, but only once, almost a year ago.

Now I need to work on a PDF file and every time I try to open it I get this message:

"There was a problem while converting PDF document into word file."

I can´t open any PDF file now. I even tried opening the same file I had opened a year ago and it´s not possible.

See:

http://youtu.be/bGDzllw6CFI?hd=1
and
http://youtu.be/ZwYgFbWzpFQ?hd=1

Also, do upgrade from 2.4.0.1 (quite old already) to 2.4.3.1

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scanned or created Nov 15, 2011

The easiest way to tell if Wordfast will be able to open your PDF is to open your PDF with with Adobe Reader and try to select some text, if you can select the text then Wordfast will be able to convert your PDF into a Word file and then create a txml.

If you can't select any of the text in the PDF file it means your file is really a PDF scan (think of it like a photo) and Wordfast won't be able to open it.

Ecuador
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It´s not opening created files Nov 15, 2011

Hello, Alex.

Thank you for your answer. The file is not scanned, but it´s not opening anyway. I have tried with other created files, and it doesn´t work.

Finnish to French
Switch to plan B: Wordfast Anywhere Nov 15, 2011

Robelly wrote:
The file is not scanned, but it´s not opening anyway. I have tried with other created files, and it doesn´t work.

Then switch to plan B: Wordfast Anywhere.

Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere does support scanned PDF's Nov 15, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
If you can't select any of the text in the PDF file it means your file is really a PDF scan (think of it like a photo) and Wordfast won't be able to open it.

Wordfast Pro can't, but Wordfast Anywhere can (unless there's some kind of protection in the PDF). See my video at http://youtu.be/ZwYgFbWzpFQ?hd=1

It works even with languages like Japanese (I tested it the other day).

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:19
Italian to English
It works Nov 15, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Wordfast Pro can't, but Wordfast Anywhere can (unless there's some kind of protection in the PDF).

I just tried it and it works, although the degree of editing required is of course highly dependent on the clarity of the original image.

The same applies using any other online OCR converter such as http://www.abbyyonline.com/en (First 20 pages per month free).

Finnish to French
Two more things Nov 15, 2011

Russell Jones wrote:
I just tried it and it works, although the degree of editing required is of course highly dependent on the clarity of the original image.

Yes, definitely. In fact, it also applies to all converters, even those that run locally on your own computer.

Two more things about the conversion performed by Wordfast Anywhere:

1) the maximum size of PDF's you can convert with it is 2 MB. You can use the following (free) utility to split PDF's that are larger than that: http://www.pdfsam.org/

2) it's important to set up a TM with a source language that matches the language of your PDF *prior* to opening the PDF in Wordfast Anywhere. The source language of the active TM is where WFA takes its clue about the language of the PDF. Having this information allows it to do a better job.

Russell Jones wrote:
The same applies using any other online OCR converter such as http://www.abbyyonline.com/en (First 20 pages per month free).

The good thing about the WFA converter is that there's no page limit. The only limit is the above mentioned size limit, which can be overcome.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you select the text? Nov 15, 2011

Robelly wrote:

Hello, Alex.

Thank you for your answer. The file is not scanned, but it´s not opening anyway. I have tried with other created files, and it doesn´t work.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear, when I said scanned I didn't really mean that the file had necessarily been scanned but that the pdf file was created like a scanned image.

Have you tried selecting the text (one word is enough to test this) while in Adobe Reader, does it let you select the text, i.e. as if you wanted to copy it and paste it somewhere else?

Ecuador
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I can select the text. Nov 15, 2011

Yes, Alex, answering to your question, I can select the text.

Finnish to French
Can you save as text in Adobe Reader? Nov 15, 2011

Robelly wrote:
Yes, Alex, answering to your question, I can select the text.

OK, selecting text is one thing, but can you do File > Save as ... > Text in Adobe Reader? Or Ctrl+A (select all) > Edit > Copy, and paste in Notepad?

If you can't, there may be restrictions in the PDF. In Adobe Reader, select File > Properties > Security and see what's there. If you can, the problem lies with Wordfast Pro. As I said, use Wordfast Anywhere as your plan B.

Ecuador
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I can do it Nov 15, 2011

Hello, Dominique:

About your question: I tried both things, and I can do both.

Finnish to French
Upgrade WFP, try WFA Nov 15, 2011

Robelly wrote:
About your question: I tried both things, and I can do both.

Then the problem lies with WFP. You may want to upgrade it to the current version (though I don't think support for PDF has changed since 2.4.0.1) and try WFA, which will quite likely work with your PDF.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can´t open pdf files in Wordfast Professional

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search