Mt Google
Thread poster: Dušan Ján Hlísta

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 02:38
English to Slovak
+ ...
Nov 19, 2011

Is MT (i.e. Machine Translation) Google functioning with latest version of Wordfast Classics? It seems to me that not anymore. Dušan J. Hlísta alias Skopko

[Edited at 2011-11-19 12:36 GMT]

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
English to French
+ ...
See the beta Nov 19, 2011

The current beta works with the free version of GoogleGT and the "by subscription" version of GT.

The current public, however, may no longer work with either, because of changes implemented by Google since it was released.

There seem to be few problems with the current beta, so I would expect it to be released as a public version soon, but this is just my opinion.

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:38
Italian to English
GT4T Nov 19, 2011

You could try using this in Wordfast Classic: http://gt4t.net/en/

It works.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Freeware or pay? Nov 20, 2011

Russell Jones wrote:

You could try using this in Wordfast Classic: http://gt4t.net/en/

It works.

I clicked the link and the first FAQ that comes up is "Q: Why isn’t GT4T Word edition compatible with Wordfast Classic?" and the answer is "Wordfast Classic is incompatible with GT4T." ...so I assume you must mean the Pro version.
I wouldn't mind trying it out but am wary in case I have to fork out cash to license something I might not like.

[Edited at 2011-11-20 10:21 GMT]

I just gave it a whirl and seems to work quite well, at least with an upholstery catalogue list that I tested it on, although I don't know if it would be any faster than my current modus operandi. It does seem very user-friendly, with minimum configuring needed to get it up and running.

The only snag is I now keep getting a popup offering me a free licence for a month... oh well, let's see how that works out.

Thanks for the tip Russell, it's all grist to the millicon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2011-11-20 10:59 GMT]

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
question Nov 20, 2011

I still do not know if the GT4T is an integral part of Wordfast Classic as it was in the MT Google case. I am afraid there is no chance to find it in the GT4T documentation. What I want to know is if it functions directly within Wordfast Classic. If not then it is not worthwhile to deal with it. Anyway - thank you all for your tips and answers. Do you happen to know if it is possible to use MT Google via some fees and how it is possible to realize it?
DJH

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seems to work Nov 20, 2011

skopko wrote:

I still do not know if the GT4T is an integral part of Wordfast Classic as it was in the MT Google case. I am afraid there is no chance to find it in the GT4T documentation. What I want to know is if it functions directly within Wordfast Classic. If not then it is not worthwhile to deal with it. Anyway - thank you all for your tips and answers. Do you happen to know if it is possible to use MT Google via some fees and how it is possible to realize it?
DJH

I just tried GT4T out and it seems to work OK with my old WF classic, compared to Systran, which I find too complicated and fiddly. I'm going to apply for the free one-month licence and see how it pans out over the new couple of weeks...

Just tried it again and it seems to have a few m inor bugs. For example it changes words in upper case into lower... and now I can't find the free 1-month trial license offer that was plaguing me a minute ago...

[Edited at 2011-11-20 12:05 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Finnish to French
There are several versions of GT4T Nov 20, 2011

neilmac wrote:
I clicked the link and the first FAQ that comes up is "Q: Why isn’t GT4T Word edition compatible with Wordfast Classic?" and the answer is "Wordfast Classic is incompatible with GT4T." ...so I assume you must mean the Pro version.

There are several versions of GT4T, one that works (or worked) as a Word add-in and one that is a standalone program that works everywhere. The author does state (http://gt4t.net/en/q-a/ ) only the latter is now supported:

"The word add-on probably won’t work under Word 2010.
Please note that the Word add-on version is no longer supported. Please use the GT4T Suite. It works everywhere you can type including Word 2010."

neilmac wrote:
The only snag is I now keep getting a popup offering me a free licence for a month... oh well, let's see how that works out.

It's the price you have to pay for having access to the Google Translate API v2 without having to pay for a key icon_wink.gif

The author explains (http://gt4t.net/en/no-worries-gt4t-will-stay-after-december-1st/ ) he's the one who pays for the key. In other words, if/when you decide to pay the yearly license fee for GT4T, you don't have to het your own GT key (if you need more information about this, see my video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/-KHq094SeWU?hd=1 ).

OTOH, using GT via a third-party utility like GT4T rather than via the built-in function in your CAT tool means you are forgoing some benefits of the integrated feature. For instance, Wordfast Classic can let you use chunks of the MT proposal (via the 'Subsegment from machine translation' option in AC), which is quite convenient. And having your own GT key can be handy if you are using several CAT tools that support it (eg. WFC, WFP, WFA and memoQ).

The usage fee on an annual basis for a GT key may well cost about the same as the yearly license fee for GT4T. For instance, I've been using GT (paid version) quite extensively for the first three weeks of November and my billing for the month is running at $2.96. If my monthly usage of GT stays at $4-5, the yearly cost over 11 months will be more or less what I'd pay for a GT4T license ($59).

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Finnish to French
You can use the paid version of GT with the beta version of Wordfast Classic Nov 20, 2011

skopko wrote:
Do you happen to know if it is possible to use MT Google via some fees and how it is possible to realize it?

Yes, it's possible (I'm doing it). For the time being, you have to use the beta version (currently 6.02k), which you can download at wordfast.net > products > download (click on 'Download a beta version of Wordfast Classic' on the right). You'll also need to obtain a GT key (see http://youtu.be/-KHq094SeWU?hd=1 for instructions).
The current beta version will also give you access to a third MT service, WorldLingo.

Shouguang Cao
China
Local time: 08:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please contact me Nov 22, 2011

Hi neilmac,

Can you write to me via the gt4t site http://gt4t.net/? I will send you a one-month free trial license. I refrained from contacting you via proz.com because it may be regarded as a commercial use.

And thank you Dominique, for explaining things so clearly:-)

Dallas
GT4T developer

neilmac wrote:

skopko wrote:

DJH

I just tried GT4T out and it seems to work OK with my old WF classic, compared to Systran, which I find too complicated and fiddly. I'm going to apply for the free one-month licence and see how it pans out over the new couple of weeks...

Just tried it again and it seems to have a few m inor bugs. For example it changes words in upper case into lower... and now I can't find the free 1-month trial license offer that was plaguing me a minute ago...

[Edited at 2011-11-20 12:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-11-22 12:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mt Google

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search