WordfastPro demo mode error - TM disabled!!
Thread poster: Filipa Plant dos Santos

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:35
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Nov 20, 2011

Hi there -

I have just started using WordfastPro on the demo mode. My idea is to see if I can get up to speed on it, and if all is ok, to then buy the licence.

I have read (and constantly refer to) the manual, and also watched an on-demand 'webinar' on wordfastpro level 1 which I bought on Proz, but am coming up against a problem which may be my own fault, but ..... I don't know what to do!

Problem: I have enabled Machine Translation (MT), but when translating a document, after the first one or two goes of MT, I get an error message:

"Error Message: Failed to leverage segment. The following error occurred:
MT Google: Failed to get machine translation. Error while communicating to server.
Please note that this TM will be disabled."

This is the latest error message linked to the MT. Last time I translated a small test file I got a similar error message, but found that all (I say "all" - the three tiny TMs that I'd started to use!!) my TMs had been moved to trash!!!

I got around this last time by opening a newly named folder, and moving all my TMs to the new folder, and then reinstating the links on Wordfastpro, which seemed to be ok.

I can't go on like this forever though. I don't want my TMs moved to trash or disabled!!! Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Filipa Plant

Harris Couwenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:35
English to Dutch
disable MT Nov 20, 2011

Filipa,

Don't ever use machine translation, it is still rubbish. why would you want to use the translate function of Google for your work? just disable that function and all should be fine

maybe you confused this with the translation memories you can create/use in WordFast and other translation tools

Harris

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
No confusion! Nov 20, 2011

Hi Harris

Thanks for your reply!

Of course you're right - in fact I've never used MT before (being scared of 'lowering the tone' of my translations without noticing!!), but was tempted by the option on the Wordfastpro demo. It said 'drink me' and so I did.

I think that if I disable this option it will sort my problem.

Ok - but ...... this shouldn't happen - what if I WANT to hold on to MT? It's so tempting.... like a drug.......... and very occasionally it MIGHT just come in handy!!

Ok. I'm going to disable it for now and see what happens. I've lived without it for the last 18 years, so.......

Do you think that if I go for it and buy the licence, there is any chance that suddenly this problem will disappear?

Filipa XX

Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:35
English to Italian
+ ...
MT is not free anylonger Nov 21, 2011

Dear Filipa,
Unfortunately weather you like Google MT or not, just some weeks ago this free service became a paid-service and google asks you money if you want to use it.
Therefore all third-party softwares (Trados, Dejavu MemoQ.....) that were providing this free service now are not able to do that anymore.
So it is not a problem of your Wordfast-PRO version but it's a new policy decided by Google.
Bye
Paolo

Portugal
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Google not free - causes problems!! Nov 21, 2011

Hi Paolo!

Thanks for your reply - Yes, I did more searching last night and it does seem to be this that is causing the problem.

To be honest, I don't care about google MT, but I did need to stop my TMs going into the trash for "no reason".

This was/is a big problem for me as I'm new to CAT tools for translation and everything seems to be a "big" problem - even the "small" things!!!!

At least now this one has been sorted out - I think!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post - it's a massive help having this forum to turn to as otherwise, we're on our own, and as we know the manuals and guides don't always tell you everything!!!!!

Bye for now

Filipa XX

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordfastPro demo mode error - TM disabled!!

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search