Thread poster: sardiniangir (X)

sardiniangir (X)
Italy
Local time: 13:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 21, 2011

Dear all,

I apologize if this has already been clarified but the search has not showed anything relevant.

I noticed that when I have a string with many placeables (for example {ut1}word1{ut2} {ut3}word2{ut4} word3{ut5}), then this sentence is repeated later on in another string but without placeables (word1 word2 word3), the TM shows no match at all.
I do not want the TM to store the placeable information but only the words.
How do I do that?

Thanks

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
Finnish to French
Cannot be done in WFP Nov 21, 2011

sardiniangirl wrote:
I noticed that when I have a string with many placeables (for example {ut1}word1{ut2} {ut3}word2{ut4} word3{ut5}), then this sentence is repeated later on in another string but without placeables (word1 word2 word3), the TM shows no match at all.

Five placeables in a segment that only has three words sounds like quite a lot. Can you give an example of such a segment? Is this a Word document, a PowerPoint, something else?

sardiniangirl wrote:
I do not want the TM to store the placeable information but only the words.
How do I do that?

AFAIK, you cannot do it in the current version. Your options include:

1) lowering the penalties for tags and their maximum absolute value

2) lowering thye fuzzy threshold

3) deleting tags from your TM using Wordfast Classic's Data Editor (name of filter: Remove all tags)

4) switching to Wordfast Classic, which doesn't store formatting information and therefore adds less tags to the TM

sardiniangir (X)
Italy
Local time: 13:14
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bummer Nov 22, 2011

Thank you for your reply.

It is a Word document. And maybe they were only 4 or 3 even, I cannot remember, but still ... no matches?

I use Wordfast pro, not Classic and I am not entirely sure about point 1 and 2, but I'll have a look and give it a try. I always leave things in the default mode fearing to upset the whole program.

Why would you "waste" space in your memory tool for formatting information such as placeables... ?

Can you maybe also tell me about my query on glossaries? I have not received an answer yet, and even a "WF Pro does not support it" would sufficeicon_smile.gifhttp://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/207154-with_multiple_glossaries_how_do_i_know_if_a_term_belongs_to_one_or_another_glossary.html

Cheers

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
Finnish to French
Nearly all other tools work the same way Nov 22, 2011

sardiniangirl wrote:
It is a Word document. And maybe they were only 4 or 3 even, I cannot remember, but still ... no matches?

Do write down the next case of failing to get a match for otherwise identical segments, except for tags. It's difficult to take position without something concrete. Each tag is only supposed to lower the value of a match by 0,5% by default, so even with 10 tags in a segment, you should still have a 95% match if the segment is the same otherwise.

sardiniangirl wrote:
I use Wordfast pro, not Classic and I am not entirely sure about point 1 and 2, but I'll have a look and give it a try. I always leave things in the default mode fearing to upset the whole program.

1 and 2 are values found in Pro (in fact, Classic doesn't even have 1). It's under Edit > Preferences > Penalties.
You should be able to use Classic's data editor (for tag removal) even if your license is only for Pro. But since you're a Mac user, you would need a copy of Word 2011 installed on your Mac (or a compatible version installed in a Windows virtual machine, if you have one).

sardiniangirl wrote:
Why would you "waste" space in your memory tool for formatting information such as placeables... ?

If you think that way, you should really consider Classic. AFAIK, nearly all other tools (Wf Pro is not alone) store formatting information in the TM via tags.

sardiniangirl wrote:
Can you maybe also tell me about my query on glossaries? I have not received an answer yet, and even a "WF Pro does not support it" would sufficeicon_smile.gifhttp://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/207154-with_multiple_glossaries_how_do_i_know_if_a_term_belongs_to_one_or_another_glossary.html

I believe there is no mechanism in Wf Pro to let you know what glossary a given term comes from. In Classic, you can see it in two ways: 1) on the status bar, when the term is selected, 2) in the source segment, via the highlighting colour (with the latest version, a different colour can be selected for each glossary).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I do not want placeables in my TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search