Thread poster: xxxsardiniangir

xxxsardiniangir
Italy
Local time: 22:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 21, 2011

Dear all,

I apologize if this has already been clarified but the search has not showed anything relevant.

I noticed that when I have a string with many placeables (for example {ut1}word1{ut2} {ut3}word2{ut4} word3{ut5}), then this sentence is repeated later on in another string but without placeables (word1 word2 word3), the TM shows no match at all.
I do not want the TM to store the placeable information but only the words.
How do I do that?

Thanks

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:16
Finnish to French
Cannot be done in WFP Nov 21, 2011

sardiniangirl wrote:
I noticed that when I have a string with many placeables (for example {ut1}word1{ut2} {ut3}word2{ut4} word3{ut5}), then this sentence is repeated later on in another string but without placeables (word1 word2 word3), the TM shows no match at all.

Five placeables in a segment that only has three words sounds like quite a lot. Can you give an example of such a segment? Is this a Word document, a PowerPoint, something else?

sardiniangirl wrote:
I do not want the TM to store the placeable information but only the words.
How do I do that?

AFAIK, you cannot do it in the current version. Your options include:

1) lowering the penalties for tags and their maximum absolute value

2) lowering thye fuzzy threshold

3) deleting tags from your TM using Wordfast Classic's Data Editor (name of filter: Remove all tags)

4) switching to Wordfast Classic, which doesn't store formatting information and therefore adds less tags to the TM

xxxsardiniangir
Italy
Local time: 22:16
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bummer Nov 22, 2011

Thank you for your reply.

It is a Word document. And maybe they were only 4 or 3 even, I cannot remember, but still ... no matches?

I use Wordfast pro, not Classic and I am not entirely sure about point 1 and 2, but I'll have a look and give it a try. I always leave things in the default mode fearing to upset the whole program.

Why would you "waste" space in your memory tool for formatting information such as placeables... ?

Can you maybe also tell me about my query on glossaries? I have not received an answer yet, and even a "WF Pro does not support it" would sufficeicon_smile.gifhttp://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/207154-with_multiple_glossaries_how_do_i_know_if_a_term_belongs_to_one_or_another_glossary.html

Cheers

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:16
Finnish to French
Nearly all other tools work the same way Nov 22, 2011

sardiniangirl wrote:
It is a Word document. And maybe they were only 4 or 3 even, I cannot remember, but still ... no matches?

Do write down the next case of failing to get a match for otherwise identical segments, except for tags. It's difficult to take position without something concrete. Each tag is only supposed to lower the value of a match by 0,5% by default, so even with 10 tags in a segment, you should still have a 95% match if the segment is the same otherwise.

sardiniangirl wrote:
I use Wordfast pro, not Classic and I am not entirely sure about point 1 and 2, but I'll have a look and give it a try. I always leave things in the default mode fearing to upset the whole program.

1 and 2 are values found in Pro (in fact, Classic doesn't even have 1). It's under Edit > Preferences > Penalties.
You should be able to use Classic's data editor (for tag removal) even if your license is only for Pro. But since you're a Mac user, you would need a copy of Word 2011 installed on your Mac (or a compatible version installed in a Windows virtual machine, if you have one).

sardiniangirl wrote:
Why would you "waste" space in your memory tool for formatting information such as placeables... ?

If you think that way, you should really consider Classic. AFAIK, nearly all other tools (Wf Pro is not alone) store formatting information in the TM via tags.

sardiniangirl wrote:
Can you maybe also tell me about my query on glossaries? I have not received an answer yet, and even a "WF Pro does not support it" would sufficeicon_smile.gifhttp://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/207154-with_multiple_glossaries_how_do_i_know_if_a_term_belongs_to_one_or_another_glossary.html

I believe there is no mechanism in Wf Pro to let you know what glossary a given term comes from. In Classic, you can see it in two ways: 1) on the status bar, when the term is selected, 2) in the source segment, via the highlighting colour (with the latest version, a different colour can be selected for each glossary).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I do not want placeables in my TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search