Thread poster: pialuna

pialuna  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:42
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2011

I need to export bilingual files from Wordfast into e.g. word. I was told not to clean the files up in my TM and to send the bilingual files with the source and target text in them, still.

How do I manage to do so?

Kind regards,

Pia

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:42
Italian to English
Which version Nov 29, 2011

Are you using Wordfast Pro Pia?

If you're using WF Classic, your bilingual file is already in Word.

Switzerland
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word doc showing BOTH texts Nov 29, 2011

Dear Russell,

Thanks a lot for replying so quickly:).

I assume I am using Wordfast Pro (in demo mode). Once I export my translation, the word files does only show the translated text in the target language - the source text is missing:(. My client wants to have a word doc showing both texts...

Can you help me?

Kind regards,

Pia

United Kingdom
Italian to English
Process Nov 29, 2011

To repeat what I sent you by e-mail Pia, this might help:

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=164&catId=35

I don't use WF Pro myself though, so comments from actual Users might be more helpful.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Copy and paste Nov 29, 2011

pialuna wrote:

Once I export my translation, the word files does only show the translated text in the target language - the source text is missing... My client wants to have a word doc showing both texts...

I only use WF Classic too, but when you clean up a WF doc that's what you get. Couldn't you /or the client) just copy the translated text and paste it alongside the original?

Switzerland
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Russel:) Nov 29, 2011

Russell Jones wrote:

To repeat what I sent you by e-mail Pia, this might help:

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=164&catId=35

I don't use WF Pro myself though, so comments from actual Users might be more helpful.

Thank you very much Russell:)

United Kingdom
Italian to English
Improbable Nov 29, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Couldn't you /or the client) just copy the translated text and paste it alongside the original?

When a client asks for an uncleaned file in Wordfast, it is almost certainly an agency that is going to convert it to a .tmx file for future use in their database of Trados TMs for individual clients.
A cut and pasted mock-up won't work!

It also makes your translation much easier to proofread.

[Edited at 2011-11-30 09:58 GMT]

Switzerland
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast probs Nov 29, 2011

neilmac wrote:

pialuna wrote:

Once I export my translation, the word files does only show the translated text in the target language - the source text is missing... My client wants to have a word doc showing both texts...

I only use WF Classic too, but when you clean up a WF doc that's what you get. Couldn't you /or the client) just copy the translated text and paste it alongside the original?

Dear Neil,

Thanks a lot for the advice. If it comes to the worst, I will do that:-).

Kind regards,

Pia

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Russel is right Nov 29, 2011

pialuna wrote:

Thanks a lot for the advice. If it comes to the worst, I will do that:-).

If they want it to feed into a Trados TM of their own, then copy and paste won't be any help. I think it works with Deja Vu though....

Switzerland
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast into Word Nov 30, 2011

Dear Russell,

My client instructed me yesterday evening "I actually need bilingual files from you, so when you have translated, please don't clean these up in your TM - please send me the bilingual files with the English and German text in them still".

He is convinced it works with Wordfast. Thus, what is the procedure to not clean them up in my TM?

Kind regards,

Pia

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:42
Finnish to French
memoQ as workaround/go-between Nov 30, 2011

pialuna wrote:
I need to export bilingual files from Wordfast into e.g. word. I was told not to clean the files up in my TM and to send the bilingual files with the source and target text in them, still.

I addition to the suggestions you have received, you can also use memoQ as a workaround (or go-between), as it's able to use TXML as input and produce bilingual DOC as output. See:

http://youtu.be/Jkn76vU3wtU?hd=1

xxxinge van dri
German to Dutch
+ ...
Then Nov 30, 2011

pialuna wrote:

Dear Russell,

My client instructed me yesterday evening "I actually need bilingual files from you, so when you have translated, please don't clean these up in your TM - please send me the bilingual files with the English and German text in them still".

He is convinced it works with Wordfast. Thus, what is the procedure to not clean them up in my TM?

Kind regards,

Pia

Then he works with Wordfast Classic and doesn't know that WF Pro doesn't produce bilingual Word files. (or that special measures have to be taken).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast: export into Word

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search