Thread poster: Catharine Cellier-Smart

Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 15:50
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2011

Forgive me if this question has been asked before - I looked through the forum but couldn't find anything.

I'm using Wordfast Pro (v 2.4.0.1) on a Mac.

I have a lot of big Excel files with many tabs and only certain columns to be translated.
I use the Excel column selection wizard in Advanced mode.
For the tabs where there are columns to be translated - no problem - I select those columns, and that's the only text that appears.
However there are tabs in the document where I don't need to translate anything and unfortunately the whole text also appears in Wordfast, even though I haven't ticked any columns to be translated in the wizard.

The obvious solution of course would be to delete the 'offending' tabs from my source document, save it and work from that. However I'm hoping somebody knows of a better solution using Wordfast itself.

PS At the end of the Wizard process I also get a message "Please enter Regular Expression". What does this refer to?

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
Finnish to French
Upgrade to the current versionb Nov 30, 2011

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:
I'm using Wordfast Pro (v 2.4.0.1) on a Mac.

The first thing I'd suggest is to upgrade to the current version (2.4.3.1), because your version is quite old already. Have a look at the release notes at http://wordfast.com/support_release_notes.html
You will see there are many improvements related to Excel in newer versions.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Hidden Columns, Rows & Cells Nov 30, 2011

Dear Catharine,

As Dominique suggested, first of all, it is better to upgrade to a newer version of WFP. However, please let me know first your Mac OS exactly to tell you which WFP version is suitable to it.

1- To exclude some columns and/or rows, you can hide the whole columns and rows in source Excel files to exclude them from WFP TXML files. In MS Excel, right-click those columns, select "Hide" and save. When you finish translation and Save Translated File, you right click again all the columns and rows and select "Unhide".

2- Moreover, now in WFP 2.4.3.1, you can also exclude separate cells by hiding them in the source Excel file. The question is how to hide cells in Excel. This is a format: right-click the cell you would like to hide > select "Format Cells" > Custom > and type ;;; instead of "General". This will only hide the text but will NOT delete it. You can also see this video for the whole process:
http://www.screencast.com/t/tifZcvbDdp

I hope this helps!

Yasmin

Reunion
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hiding and upgrading Dec 1, 2011

Thanks Dominique and Yasmin; Yasmin your suggestion put me on the right track - I'd forgotten I can actually hide whole tabs in Excel (right click on the tab name). However as I have a lot of docs and a lot of tabs I would have preferred finding a Wordfast-based solution.

My version of Mac is OS X 10.6.8 (will be upgrading to Lion at some point in 2012).

I've tried upgrading Wordfast in the past (tried again today) but I get a message as follows:
"No features found on the selected sites(s). Choose a different site or site category."

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 20:50
Japanese to English
Try selecting one blank column or add a column with minimal text... Dec 1, 2011

I have a lot of big Excel files with many tabs and only certain columns to be translated.
I use the Excel column selection wizard in Advanced mode.
For the tabs where there are columns to be translated - no problem - I select those columns, and that's the only text that appears.
However there are tabs in the document where I don't need to translate anything and unfortunately the whole text also appears in Wordfast, even though I haven't ticked any columns to be translated in the wizard.

Hi Catharine,

I don't know anything about WordFast(so please forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion!), but does the column selection wizard in WordFast let you select blank/empty columns? If so, you might try selecting one empty column on the tabs where no translation is needed, and may be that will let you avoid the whole text from appearing for those tabs...?

If you can't select completely blank columns, then maybe add one column with one cell of text and select that column when you go through the wizard...?

This may be a limitation of WF (assuming there is no specific setting to ignore unselected columns/tabs in the wizard). If so, then maybe you can "fool" the software into doing what you want...

[Edited at 2011-12-01 06:20 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Download page Dec 1, 2011

I've tried upgrading Wordfast in the past (tried again today) but I get a message as follows:
"No features found on the selected sites(s). Choose a different site or site category."

The download page is:
http://wordfast.com/store_download.html
Direct link for the Mac version:
http://wordfast.com/zip/2.4.3.1/Mac/Wordfast_With_TMAdmin.app.tar.gz

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Work on a "reduced" version? Dec 1, 2011

I'm doing much the same sort of thing at the moment with WF Pro. The Excel files I receive are huge and cumbersome, but I appreciate seeing all the product data on the 3 or 4 tabs, even if I only have to translate 3 columns on one of them.

It's quick and easy to copy and paste the block of columns I need into a "working" document and my computer appreciates dealing with the much smaller file size. I also proofread and tweak formatting in the saved translated version of this before finally copying across into the master file. Not very sophisticated, but I generally prefer simple solutions.

Still, it's good to know about the select/deselect columns option, which I will try out next time I get a smaller file.

[Edited at 2011-12-01 13:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-01 13:23 GMT]

Reunion
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrading allows de-selection of tabs Dec 1, 2011

I've upgraded (thanks Dominique!) and yes the most recent version of Wordfast allows to check or uncheck a "select all columns" box which means I no longer have the problem of having unwanted tabs.
The only bug in the system is that for some unknown reason the columns in my finished document change colour! The columns to be translated in my source document are a certain colour and in my target document the colour has changed. (This is since the upgrade, as the first Excel documents I did on the older version didn't have this problem).

Michael Grant wrote:

I don't know anything about WordFast(so please forgive me if this is a dumb suggestion!), but does the column selection wizard in WordFast let you select blank/empty columns? If so, you might try selecting one empty column on the tabs where no translation is needed, and may be that will let you avoid the whole text from appearing for those tabs...?

If you can't select completely blank columns, then maybe add one column with one cell of text and select that column when you go through the wizard...?

[Edited at 2011-12-01 06:20 GMT]

Michael no the wizard doesn't seem to allow selecting empty columns. However the idea of adding a fake blank column would have been good if I hadn't found another solution.

BTW found the "regular expression" explanation in the help guide (of course !)

Catharine

[Edited at 2011-12-01 13:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating and not translating tabs in an Excel file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search