John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:46
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2011

I am translating a long Word document that has numerous tags of the {123} variety.

To process the tags as placeables I converted them all to tw4winInternal style, which seems to work well, except for a strange problem.

Periodically, all the tags, from the point where I am working on to the end, suddenly disappear! Tags for segments already completed are not changed, so it's not a problem affecting all tw4winInternal styles in the document - just from the point I am wor
... See more
I am translating a long Word document that has numerous tags of the {123} variety.

To process the tags as placeables I converted them all to tw4winInternal style, which seems to work well, except for a strange problem.

Periodically, all the tags, from the point where I am working on to the end, suddenly disappear! Tags for segments already completed are not changed, so it's not a problem affecting all tw4winInternal styles in the document - just from the point I am working on to the end.

This strange behaviour is happening about every 30 minutes, to the point where I am keeping an untranslated copy of the file open and keep having to copy/paste the balance of the document back in to get the tags back.

Anyone have any idea what can be causing this strange behaviour?

Wordfast Classic 5.61k on XP Pro, with Word 2007
Collapse

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Alt+X Dec 1, 2011

I have discovered it happens whenever I use the Ctrl+Alt+X function, Delete Target, which I do occasionally to start over on translating a segment. It deletes the contents of the target but also all the tw4winInternal tags after that point. I assume it must be a WF bug?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
there's a more recent version of Wfc Dec 1, 2011

Have you tried the current release(s)?

Current version 5 is 5.92m
Current version 6 is 6.01g

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Finnish to French
Ctrl+Alt+X deletes *everything* Dec 2, 2011

John Fossey wrote:
I have discovered it happens whenever I use the Ctrl+Alt+X function, Delete Target, which I do occasionally to start over on translating a segment. It deletes the contents of the target but also all the tw4winInternal tags after that point. I assume it must be a WF bug?

Why? Ctrl+Alt+X is supposed to delete everything, so it would appear to make sense it also deletes tags. Where does it say Ctrl+Alt+X should delete everything, except tags?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Wordfast Classic is not optimal for dealing with tags Dec 2, 2011

John Fossey wrote:
Anyone have any idea what can be causing this strange behaviour?

No idea, but Wordfast Classic is not the optimal tool for dealing with tags anyway. Tag support dates back from the time when there was no Wordfast Pro and no Wordfast Anywhere: now these are available, and they are much better suited for dealing with tags.
If you insist on using Classic, at least upgrade to the current version: if there's a basic flaw in the way Classic deals with tags, it won't be fixed in a version that is more than 2 years old.

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl-Alt-X Dec 2, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Why? Ctrl+Alt+X is supposed to delete everything, so it would appear to make sense it also deletes tags. Where does it say Ctrl+Alt+X should delete everything, except tags?

No, Ctrl+Alt+X is not supposed to delete everything, it's supposed to delete only the target. In this case, it's deleting the target, as expected, and also the tags in the remainder of the document, as stated in my OP.

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WFC and tags Dec 2, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Wordfast Classic is not optimal for dealing with tags

So I discovered, on the other hand its speed of use in this case made it still worth using, once I recognized the problem with the tags. I will definitely upgrade today, now that the job is complete.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Sorry Dec 2, 2011

John Fossey wrote:
No, Ctrl+Alt+X is not supposed to delete everything, it's supposed to delete only the target. In this case, it's deleting the target, as expected, and also the tags in the remainder of the document, as stated in my OP.

Sorry, I didn't get that. Yes, what I meant was everything in the target segment and nowhere else. If it's deleting tags elsewhere, it's clearly a bug. Check if it's happening in the current version as well. I doubt it, as it would probably have been reported already.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappearing tags

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »