Magali GUENETTE
France
Local time: 04:09
English to French
+ ...
Dec 6, 2011

Good morning everybody,
Hope I'm in the right forum.
This summer I attended the FIT Congress where I had the chance to arrange some properties file for xml translation with the Wordfast people.

I thought i had understood it all but here I am with a new XML file and it does not work anymore. I tried to figure out a different properties file for this new xml (since code has changed apparently; but doesn't work either).

For my new xml texts down below, i have set up the following properties.
Click on Quote if you have problems viewing my xml examples.

thanks in advance for any help.

((I have also tried opening my new xml file in MemoQ, but I get more text than I should translate. Txt in MemoQ includes other words meant as part of code or explanation. Any simple way to sort that out too. This way I could decide to use WFPro or MemoQ according to clients.)

thanks again

Magali

Code:

paragraphPrefix.1=

My text in xml file
Code:

[Edited at 2011-12-06 10:52 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
File, please! Dec 6, 2011

Dear Magali,

The code is not displayed correctly here. Could you please send me the files in private. Many thanks in advance!

Yasmin

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@ Yasmin Dec 6, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Magali,

The code is not displayed correctly here. Could you please send me the files in private. Many thanks in advance!

Yasmin

By clicking on the Quote button under Magali's message, you can actually see what she wanted to post.

Best,
Attila

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
OT: A forum bug? Dec 6, 2011

Attila Piróth wrote:
By clicking on the Quote button under Magali's message, you can actually see what she wanted to post.
Best,
Attila

Isn't the "CODE" BB tag meant to display text as it is inserted, i.e. in this case without replacing all the < and > characters with ampersandlt; and ampersandgt; entities? Also, I would like the font used for text in the CODE sections appeared a little bigger without needing to CTRL+roll mouse wheel anytime I want to read what's in the CODE section.

Just a thought...

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
This might help Dec 6, 2011

Magali GUENETTE wrote:

Good morning everybody,
Hope I'm in the right forum.
This summer I attended the FIT Congress where I had the chance to arrange some properties file for xml translation with the Wordfast people.

Have you seen this resource? http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=140-35

It might help you!

Best,
John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Egypt
English to Arabic
Download Dec 6, 2011

Many thanks, Attila, for the forum tip! Now, I can see the problem in Magali's properties file.

Dear Magali,

You should add the proper escaping using \

Here is how it should look like:
http://screencast.com/t/qDQYc6COynI

As John mentioned, I have already described the details of translating XML at the link, but most importantly, you can also download the properties file you need for CDATA at the same page: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=140-35 (Download examples...). The properties file you need is number 3 in the zip file.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Magali GUENETTE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 6, 2011

John, Attila, and Yasmin.

Actually I think I had already seen the slides you link to a few month ago (advised by Dominique Pivard), but somehow I need a real hands-on training to understand things properly. Now that Jamie Lucero (if I'm not mistaken about the name) explained the first steps live in SFO, I might understand the rest and will try the CDATA XML.

Hope this will fix my problem.

Magali

Magali GUENETTE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too bad, it didn't work Dec 6, 2011

I typed in the exact code shown in screencast.com/t/qDQYc6COynI
((click Quote to view the code))
paragraphPrefix.1=
paragraphFormat.1=html-included

but WFpro keeps saying "THis file contains no translatable segments".

There was a message before this about the languages being wrong DE-de FR-fr instead of just de-fr I think. But my main problem remains the code.

The translatable bits are really just in between CDATA encoding, but of course there are a lot of other lines and characters around... I can-t really make properties out of these other bits and lines since they all contain different words and codes.
The only common bit is CDATA, which I thought would be enough for the property files.

Let me know if you can think of smth else blocking the process.

Magali

Egypt
English to Arabic
Files, please! Dec 6, 2011

Dear Magali,

You should delete the old TXML file.

Otherwise, please feel free to send me the XML file to check.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Magali GUENETTE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deleting the old TXML did the trick Dec 7, 2011

many thanks Yasmin, never thought I had to do this, only thought that reselecting a new property file would re-segment the XML, but of course not... it could only try (and fail) to apply these property changes to the old segmented txml.

Are these \\ \\ needed in other type of XML files?
AND also
CAN I mix my other properties with these CDATA properties in just one file, which I could use for this client whatever kind of xml he sends?

Thanks again in advance for your answer.

Magali

Egypt
English to Arabic
escaping Dec 11, 2011

Magali GUENETTE wrote:

They are for "escaping"; that is to say, changing the significant of a sign from programming to regular text.

Magali GUENETTE wrote:

CAN I mix my other properties with these CDATA properties in just one file, which I could use for this client whatever kind of xml he sends?

Unless you know what you do clearly, I do not recommend that.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Magali GUENETTE
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 12, 2011

Thanks,
Seeing your answer, I sort of remembered I knew these \\ a long time ago to "overlook" sentences in old text files (when still working with DOS OS)
but the bell rings a bit late and not so loud in my human memory.

OK, I'll try no to mix too many different properties then, but keep a property file for each type of XML. (understanding xml would help me, but haven't had a chance to grab a training on this yet).

Magali

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Magali GUENETTE wrote:

They are for "escaping"; that is to say, changing the significant of a sign from programming to regular text.

Magali GUENETTE wrote:

Unless you know what you do clearly, I do not recommend that.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating XML files with WFPro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search