How to translate rtf files with WF Classic?
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:12
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 12, 2011

Hi

A client of mine sent me a large rtf file (inx.rtf) and told me I always have to work in rtf and I cannot work in Word. I have a very basic knowledge of WF, so I don't know exactly what to do (I always translate in Word). I use WF Classic 6.01g on a Mac.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Word should be fine Dec 12, 2011

I always have to work in rtf and I cannot work in Word.

Word is a software, and rtf is a file format. Perhaps your client meant that you should not work with .doc or .docx format, which is the native format of Word (2003 and 2007+, respectively). But that's perfectly OK; Word and WFC can handle rtf fine.

Kind regards
Attila

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:12
Finnish to French
Maybe it's a tagged file Dec 12, 2011

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:
A client of mine sent me a large rtf file (inx.rtf) and told me I always have to work in rtf and I cannot work in Word. I have a very basic knowledge of WF, so I don't know exactly what to do (I always translate in Word). I use WF Classic 6.01g on a Mac.

There shouldn't be any difference between DOC, DOCX and RTF from Wordfast Classic's point of view.

However, the name of your file suggests it was originally exported from InDesign. If it's an .RTF, it may have been "tagged" into a Word document. Only you can tell, based on the content.

Translating heavily tagged files in Classic can be tricky and is not necessarily for the faint of heart.

A safer choice for you would be to request the original .INX and translate that in Wordfast Pro or in Wordfast Anywhere, especially since you're on a Mac.

skopko  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 14:12
English to Slovak
+ ...
*. rtf client Dec 12, 2011

it is nonsense. You can handle format of *.rtf file in MS Word with Wordfast Classic and then save it in (save as ...) the *.rtf format - not in *.doc or *.docx. That is all. Np problem at all!
Dušan ján Hlísta

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Exactly Dec 12, 2011

One of my clienbts always sends me rtf files and as long as you don't change the extension when you save, they work just the same as a doc or docx file. His come as two-column files from Deja Vu but to all intents and purposes it's just a Word file....

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 12, 2011

I checked with the client and I can open it in Word as long as I save it as a rtf file.
Thanks everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate rtf files with WF Classic?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search