What is your experience with Wordfast Anywhere?
Thread poster: Pristine

Pristine
Local time: 08:41
English to German
Jan 19, 2012

Any advice for a Wordfast Anywhere beginner?

Any plus or negative points?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:41
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Have you checked this forum? Jan 19, 2012

There are several threads already.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Videos Jan 19, 2012

Pristine wrote:

My advice is to watch some videos here: http://www.freetm.com/doc/videos.html

Pristine wrote:

In my opinion the most important "positive point" is that it is free, and the most important "negative point" is that it is online; if you have a good stable Internet connection, there is no problem.

However, the absolute advantage is that you will not lose anything if you give it a try to see yourself.

Leaving the microphone to other colleagues who surely will have many things to say.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too nebulous Jan 20, 2012

Not all clients want their possibly confidential information going out to some nebulous online cloud. Before you use it I'd check with the client.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is *your* experience? Jan 20, 2012

Pristine wrote:

Positive:
It is free and has some pretty reasonable TM and glossary support.

Negative:
It is webbased, which means it can be slow.

For us to answer your question better, first tell us what is *your* experience with WFA? Have you watched a video and/or translated a short document with it successfully?

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Terms Jan 20, 2012

John Cutler wrote:

Not all clients want their possibly confidential information going out to some nebulous online cloud. Before you use it I'd check with the client.

Dear John,

Good point! Please read this: http://www.freetm.com/doc/terms.html

Confidentiality
All the data maintained by Wordfast LLC on your behalf is kept strictly confidential. Wordfast LLC will not reuse, sell, reveal, distribute or in any way disclose the data you entrust in our servers. We mean all data: documents, translation memories, glossaries, personal information, etc. Documents or accounts that are deleted by you are permanently and irretrievably erased.
Email addresses are used only for rare technical communications concerning our service. They are not disclosed or commmunicated to any third party interest. We adamantly oppose spam. Note that if you lose or forget your password, it will be emailed to the email address your provided. If that email address is invalid (we do not verify the validity of email addresses), your password cannot be recovered.

Moreover, while logging in, you have the option "Secure connection (https)": https://www.freetm.com/

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Pristine
Local time: 08:41
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link, Yasmin Jan 20, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Pristine wrote:

My advice is to watch some videos here: http://www.freetm.com/doc/videos.html

Pristine wrote:

In my opinion the most important "positive point" is that it is free, and the most important "negative point" is that it is online; if you have a good stable Internet connection, there is no problem.

However, the absolute advantage is that you will not lose anything if you give it a try to see yourself.

Leaving the microphone to other colleagues who surely will have many things to say.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not anywhere Jan 22, 2012

IMO this web-oriented approach is rather awkward right from the start because it works only where a good and stable Internet connection is, let alone I don't trust any statements with direct or implied disclaimers: what is the use of accumulating the TM base then? Nay, it's but a 'free' Google-approach, which reserved the right to have second thoughts.

Too many if's. I personally cannot rely on something so dim and cloudy while the responsibility is mine.

xxxchristela
Not exactly Jan 22, 2012

DZiW wrote:

IMO this web-oriented approach is rather awkward right from the start because it works only where a good and stable Internet connection is,

That's right. But the aim of WFA is not only to provide translators with software that is available everywhere, but also to have them have an easy start in the Wordfast range of translation solutions.

let alone I don't trust any statements with direct or implied disclaimers: what is the use of accumulating the TM base then? Nay, it's but a 'free' Google-approach, which reserved the right to have second thoughts.

You use your own TMs. It's not a remake of Google, it's an online available personal CAT.

Too many if's. I personally cannot rely on something so dim and cloudy while the responsibility is mine.

The makers of WFA have a good French culture of confidentiality and are technically savvy. It's up to you to decide if you want to trust their securized software. And please note that the possibilities are limited: only 10 files at the same time. Therefore, it's not a good storage solution for your TMs either.

[Edited at 2012-01-22 14:13 GMT]

Marina Urquidi  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
My experience with Wordfast Anywhere: warmly recommended Feb 28, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Pristine wrote:

Positive:
It is free and has some pretty reasonable TM and glossary support.

Negative:
It is webbased, which means it can be slow.

For us to answer your question better, first tell us what is *your* experience with WFA? Have you watched a video and/or translated a short document with it successfully?

After my old computer crashed and I was going through the expense of a new computer and buying all new applications, before I got around to buying a new Wordfast, I tried Wordfast Anywhere and used it for about three weeks for my daily work. Outside of the fact that it may have been a bit slow, though not that slow, and that I couldn't use my previously stored TUs, I found it to be extremely useful and effective, giving me a machine translation to edit for starters, bringing up my own fuzzy matches as I went, and offering often very useful fuzzy matches from the "very large" whatever it was called. I warmly recommend this tool for whenever it might be needed for whatever reason!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:41
Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere shares the same TM format with Classic and Pro Feb 28, 2012

MarinaEulalia wrote:
Outside of the fact that ... I couldn't use my previously stored TUs

This is surprising, as Wordfast Anywhere uses exactly the same TM format at Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro. So if you had a TM previously created with either version, you should have been able to upload it to your Anywhere account.

[Edited at 2012-02-28 15:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your experience with Wordfast Anywhere?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search