https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/217190-wf_pro_find_and_replace_on_multiple_files.html

WF Pro - Find and replace on multiple files?
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2012

I have a project with 26 files, and sometimes I need to check a regular expression within all of the 26 files. Is there a way to do so or should I keep opening and search each file?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
Finnish to French
Probably not possible in WFP Jan 29, 2012

I don't think this can be done in WFP, and I don't think WFP supports regular expressions either. Your best bet would be a text editor that supports find/replace in multiple files and regular expressions. UltraEdit is one such editor, there are certainly others.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:06
Member (2006)
French to English
Use PlusTools Jan 30, 2012

You can do this with PlusTools. I just tested the find feature on three .txml files using Word 2003 on Windows XP.

Good luck,

John

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Wildcards? Jan 30, 2012

John Di Rico wrote:
You can do this with PlusTools. I just tested the find feature on three .txml files using Word 2003 on Windows XP.

Does it work with wildcards (= regular expressions)? I was under the impression PlusTools cannot search in multiple files with wildcards.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:06
Member (2006)
French to English
Use wildcards Jan 30, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Does it work with wildcards (= regular expressions)? I was under the impression PlusTools cannot search in multiple files with wildcards.

I didn't try with wildcards, though there is a checkbox in the PlusTools window to "Use wildcards."

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Do try it! Jan 30, 2012

John Di Rico wrote:
I didn't try with wildcards, though there is a checkbox in the PlusTools window to "Use wildcards."

Do try it, because I was under the impression it doesn't work, despite the checkbox.

See http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/message/59783

+Tools F/R with wildcards does well at the find but then replaces with the characters typed in the replace field. Running the same F/R directly in Word works as expected.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too bad I don't use WF Classic Jan 30, 2012

Too bad I am using WF Pro, don't have a license for WF Classic and still need to replace the same occurrence in 26 files.
Thanks anyway for your replies.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Classic wouldn't help Jan 31, 2012

Paola Slajmer wrote:
Too bad I am using WF Pro, don't have a license for WF Classic and still need to replace the same occurrence in 26 files.

Classic could certainly be helpful for a number of reasons, but it would help solve your F/R problem. For one thing, Classic itself has no particular global F/R function, whether in a single document or across multiple documents. Secondly, PlusTools (which does have such a function) is a freeware Word add-in that doesn't require a Classic license in order to work: it can be used by Classic users, Pro users and even non-Wordfast users. However, PlusTools does not support regex F/R accross multiple files.

Do try UltraEdit, which has a fully functional trial version.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried UltraEdit Feb 6, 2012

I tried UltraEdit, working directly in my TXML file (I am working in Wordfast) but unfortunately it is not working (when I open the file in WF, it has no changes)

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Exclusive access is needed Feb 6, 2012

Paola Slajmer wrote:
I tried UltraEdit, working directly in my TXML file (I am working in Wordfast) but unfortunately it is not working (when I open the file in WF, it has no changes)

UltraEdit (or any other editor, for that matter) needs to have exclusive access to your TXML files, so they shouldn't be open in Wordfast Pro at the same time. Are you able to make the changes you want in UltraEdit (= are replacements displayed correctly in UltraEdit)? If so, they should be displayed in WFP the next time you open the TXML.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Pro - Find and replace on multiple files?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »