Thread poster: Dariusz Kos
Dariusz Kos
Poland
Local time: 12:12
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2012

Hi,

I'm translating a number of Excel files using Wordfast Pro. I have done a similar project already and everthing was as it should be, but now, for no apparent reason, some segments are created too long.

Some of them are as long as 250 words with 38 placeables. This makes WF go really slow and unwieldy and there is no sense in commiting such a big segment to the TM.

The expand/shrink button have no effect whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's the fault of Wordfast, because somebody might have changed something in the way the Excel files are saved, but is there a cure for this?

Cheers

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Finnish to French
250 words sound like a lot for an Excel cell Jan 31, 2012

Unfortunately, I have no answer to your problem, but 250 words sound quite a lot for an Excel cell (although cells in Excel can accommodate up to 32,767 characters), and also for a single segment.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 12:12
English to Arabic
Files, please! Jan 31, 2012

It seems to have to do with segmentation settings. May I have a look at the file. I will advise you accordingly.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

freddycastaneda  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Font size Nov 24, 2014

I am currently having the same situation, I advice adjusting the font size of the target text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segments too long?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search