Superscript in Wordfast Pro (demo version)?
Thread poster: Tigerlilygurlie

Tigerlilygurlie  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:46
Feb 2, 2012

Hi,
I'm currently translating a document from english to French that contains a lot of trademark names.
For example: SonyTM. The TM is in superscript in the source segment. In the target segment, I want to use SonyMD (with the MD in superscript). How do I do that?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
Finnish to French
Not possible Feb 2, 2012

Tigerlilygurlie wrote:
I'm currently translating a document from english to French that contains a lot of trademark names.
For example: SonyTM. The TM is in superscript in the source segment. In the target segment, I want to use SonyMD (with the MD in superscript). How do I do that?

It's not possible, and it doesn't matter whether you're running Wordfast Pro in demo or licensed mode. You will need to put MD in superscript in the final translated document. If it's a Word document, you can do it with Find/Replace.

Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Superscript Feb 2, 2012

Thanks for your response!

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:46
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can't add, but.. Feb 2, 2012

Like Dominique said you can't write in superscript in WFP but what is strange is that if it this is a Word document and it appears like that (superscript) in the original then normally WFP should have placed the word in between placeables, and those placeables indicate the superscript.

So in your example you should see Sony{ut1}TM{ut2} and if you hover over the placeable it should indicate "sup", so you would translate it as Sony{ut1}MD{ut2} and when the file is reconstructed the MD will be in superscript.

Are you using a Word file? Did WFP place the placeables?

[Edited at 2012-02-02 20:30 GMT] Added the sup as I had placed between less-than and more-than signs and was not showing

[Edited at 2012-02-02 20:32 GMT]

Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Superscript Feb 2, 2012

Hi Alex,

The file is not a word document. It's an Excel file. There are no visible placeables in the source segment, even though the TM appears in superscript. Therefore, I cannot copy any placeables in the target segmenticon_smile.gif

Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Strange Feb 2, 2012

Strange, it can normally read excel cells OK and also reflects superscript placeables (at least in my experience).

Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Superscript Feb 2, 2012

if I "Copy Source", it will reproduce the exact same text in the target segment (the source segment has the superscript but does not show any visible placeables that I can copy). However, if I try to translate over it after copying in the target segment, the superscript feature disappears...

Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Settings Feb 3, 2012

Can only suggest you contact WF support and ask if there is anything the can tweek in the segmentation settings.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
Finnish to French
A possible explanation Feb 3, 2012

What could be happening is this:

http://screencast.com/t/QhxqZ7iP

Both B3 and B4 look the same, but in B3 I have the letters T and M formatted as superscript, while in B4 I have the symbol ™, which is a single character and doesn't need to be formatted as superscript.

When I open that Excel file in WFP, I get this:

http://screencast.com/t/dZbxbeekC

In the first segment, the letters TM are enclosed between placeables {ut2} and {ut2}, and it's possible to have the letters MD enclosed between the same placeables in the French translation. When saving the translated document, MD will be formatted as superscript.

In the second segment, there are no placeables. It is possible to copy the symbol ™ to the target segment, but not to "translate" it to MD, since there's no similar MD symbol available as a single character.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Superscript in Wordfast Pro (demo version)?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search