New FREE Word Counting Service Provided By Wordfast
Thread poster: Kristyna Marrero

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:03
Feb 6, 2012

Hi All,

We have released a free word counting service that enables you to email a file or batch of files to an email address (wordcount at wordfast.com) and it automatically sends you back a word count of each file. This is useful for quoting jobs or estimating turnaround times quickly when away from the office. You can even use your PDA or smartphone to email the files.

The instructions and details can be found here - http://wordfast.com/support_wordcount.html

As always, Wordfast remains committed to complete privacy and confidentiality of our customer's property. Any files that you email to our servers are immediately and irretrievably deleted once the word count is generated. We do not keep these files nor do we share them with anyone.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Kristyna Marrero
Director of Sales & Marketing

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tried it Feb 6, 2012

Kristyna Marrero wrote:
We have released a free word counting service that enables you to email a file or batch of files to an email address (wordcount at wordfast.com) and it automatically sends you back a word count of each file.

I tried it a few times. My tests were not returned to me unless the files I tried to count were in a zip file. The files appear to be converted to DOCX format, but my MS Word says it is an invalid file and it can't open it. The service does provide a count, though.

United States
TOPIC STARTER
Did you include the source language? Feb 6, 2012

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for giving it a try .

Samuel Murray wrote:

My tests were not returned to me unless the files I tried to count were in a zip file.

Were you sure to indicate the source language in the subject line? That is a requirement otherwise the tool cannot provide a proper word count.

We appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

United States
TOPIC STARTER
Source Language must match the guidelines Feb 7, 2012

One more important note - it's required that the source language appears in the subject line exactly as it appears in the list below. (You can also find a complete list at http://wordfast.com/word-count). A few users have been reporting errors because their subject line did not match the exactly.

AFRIKAANS
CHINESETRAD
CHINESESIMP
CZECH
DANISH
DUTCH
ENGLISH
FINNISH
FRENCH
GERMAN
GREEK
HEBREW
HUNGARIAN
INDONESIAN
ITALIAN
JAPANESE
KOREAN
NORWEGIAN
POLISH
PORTUGUESE
RUSSIAN
SERBIAN
SLOVAK
SLOVENIAN
SPANISH
SWEDISH
TAGALOG

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
non-NDA Feb 8, 2012

Neither as a service provider (translator), nor as a client I would consider such an option. Why? I mean that my clients don't really care about some third-party privacy policy--all they want is the job done properly, confidentially, and timely. So, once again, I personally see no real use of it.

Furthermore, I don't realize why on-line services are in focus of interest so much--marketing?
I really wish Yyves kept improving WF classic/pro instead of dubious services...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New FREE Word Counting Service Provided By Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search