WordFast Classic - Please explain tags
Thread poster: rocknel
Feb 17, 2012

I volunteered to translate a book a few days ago, and started to use WORDFAST 3.35.

Today, the program crashed while I was merging (expanding) segments. It was because the segment had a comment.

Anyway, I restarted the program, and now I see purple tags, and dots in between words where there was just a space, then original sentences where translation was already done.

after many hours of troubleshooting, I found that the solution was Ctrl+Comma. I had tried it, but I was punching Period, instead of Comma.

-------------------------------------
Now I get warning that TAG is not proper once in a while.
I am also curious to know the meaning of the numbers with the tags.

It seems it always starts with 0{ at the beginning, and ends with different numbers.

Why these subtle differences?

Lastly where can I register this free version? Or is it not necessary?

Please advise.

[Edited at 2012-02-17 05:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-17 05:51 GMT]

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:06
English to French
+ ...
check current version Feb 17, 2012

The current version of WfC is 6. I don't even remember about 3.35.

Do yourself a favor, and download the latest public version.

rocknel
TOPIC STARTER
Don't want a demo version Feb 17, 2012

I am not making a dime out of it, so I cannot spend 350 euro for this.
The book has 650 pages, so it is a huge project and I am a novice.

Yes, I feel like getting out of the bed and just start running a full marathon, but I have to do it.

I understand that there is WordFast Anywhere, but it serves me better if
I can work offline, and I like working off MS Word.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:06
Finnish to French
With version 3.35, you're on your own Feb 17, 2012

Version 3.35 was released in Fall 2002, ie. it's almost 10 years old. Just don't expect to get support for it, you're pretty much on your own.

If it's important for you to use a free tool, use Wordfast Anywhere, OmegaT or Anaphraseus, which are all current and supported. You can also use the current version of Wordfast Classic (6.01g) in demo mode.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
*free* Feb 17, 2012

Hello rocknel.

First, wf 3.35x is the last free test version of WordFast (2002), but it's fully featured and works fine for Win97/xp/2003/2007+ and no registration required, but remember to backup and reorganize TM's on and off.

Second, what is the problem with proceeding except seeing hidden text as purple tags and translated units (toggled via Ctrl+Comma)?

Third, if you just can't delete bad tags then turn off the protection via Ctrl+Alt+F12 (or check setup).

And the last, sometimes it's better to delete the affected doc, create a copy of the source (original document) and 'Autotranslate while' (Shift+Ctrl+PageDown by default), but it happens very rare with rather complicated things.

Cheers)

rocknel
TOPIC STARTER
to: Dziw Feb 17, 2012

It runs on Windows 7 and Office 2010 64bit.
I think I saw somewhere that even the free version requires registration if you want to disable the size limitation, but maybe I am wrong.

Right now my TU is 439 units and 89KB.

The manual for 3.35x says: "An unregistered copy of Wordfast is limited in TM size (256 TU's). "

I am not sure...

You think Reorganizing is safe and necessary?

As Dominique mentioned, I am not expecting a technical support from the manifacturer, so I need to know what to do to deal with certain problems. Right now, when I get a warning that says the tags are not right, I want to correct it. I make a change, but I don't know if I am doing right, because I just could not figure out the meaning of the numbers with the tags.

WfC seems to be nothing but WORD Template with some built-in macros. I like the simplicity of it.

I can delete the tags.

Thank you for the last suggestion. It is a great point and I will remember that.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@rocknel Feb 18, 2012

My 'specialized' TM's created in 2003/04 for WF 3.35x are 10-50k TU's (my TM folder is 57+ MB in size) and I had no problems with ol' WF so far. The only thing is now and then it automatically does reorganization (rearrangement) which might take a while, but no prob. Boy, there's even no Serial number window!

Perhaps you did delete a few tags or WF shut down improperly while saving the segment open (remember to have 'Protect segments' enabled). As I've said before, I also encountered such cases a few times, but it was enough to delete bad segments or autotranslate (or just press ALT+Down) using prepared TM's--you have already translated this, so they are 100% matches (!) although with possible nuances in respect of segmentation. This is the primary feature of CAT's: don't translate the same and similar segments (and a backup translations as a side effect).

Usually I work under Win XP SP3 Pro with MS Office 2003 (plus the latest patches and 2007/10 MS converters), so I don't have any problems with new software compatibility. I happened to try WF under Vista, but found it rather slow compared to XP process, so I kept my old PC for translatingicon_wink.gif
I have W7, but don't use it for translations, so I can't tell for sure.

Why, actually I planned to buy a new version of WF classic (even though I found no new 'must-have' features), but 3 year license limit and monstrously soggy (at that time) WF Pro drove me off. Unfortunately, now I don't often use WF to consider buying it because I've bought another CAT...

Cheers)

rocknel
TOPIC STARTER
To DZiW Feb 21, 2012

It is good to know that I don't need to register my copy.

Without knowing what the latest version can do, I am happy with this 10 year old tool.
What I am translating is not a technical document, so recycling is not a huge issue.

I still want to understand what tag number means, but maybe one day it dawns on me.

Thank you very much!

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
tag answer Feb 22, 2012

rocknel, people still use spoons, forks, knives, plates, cups, glasses....
Some things just don't change. Yet there was no Internet tooicon_wink.gif

If I remember correctly, then internal wf tags work like this:

1. {0> -- opening
2. "Source segment"
3. -- % match 0..100
4. "Target segment" (translation)
5. < 0} -- closing

So, in a case of 'emergency' you should just unprotect and delete lines 1,3,4,5 -- obviously, except the source line #2.

BTW, have you read the manual or watched relevant videos? Because there're a few good tricks to speed up the job (e.g. auto MT suggestion, background TM's, glossary and dictionary look up--both sites and applications and so on). Also you could try searching for parallel corpus in you working pair (or reversal) covering the specialization (theme). The same goes about glossaries--even at ProZ...

Cheers)

[Edited at 2012-02-22 01:24 GMT]

rocknel
TOPIC STARTER
To DZiW Feb 24, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments.

What you said about tags are correct, but I've seen some variations before (I cannot recall now), and there have been times when I adjust accordingly, it still gave me a warning.

As for documentations, I have read the manual (not throughly) and watched a few videos. There are many things that did not make sense to me, but that is normal since this is my first translation and first translation editor. Hopefully more understanding come as I go.

"auto MT suggestion, background TM's, glossary and dictionary look up--both sites and applications"
Except glossary, they are above my head. Dictionary sounds interesting, but do I select raw dictionary file or do I select interface that the dictionary works through? How can I use Google (Web) Translation, I don't know.

The biggest problem I have found is WordFast Classic FREE interferes greatly with MS Word's MARKUP function. It just totally messes up. I don't know if the latest version works fine or not, but it does not matter because I am not paying $350.

A small problem is that WordFast automatically puts a space in between sentences, and I cannot disable it. Well, I will try with Word's REPLACE function.

Proof-reader cannot use segmentation (Alt + Down) to check one sentence at a time. He can do it with original and translation shown (Alt + Comma). Then I cannot hide annoying dots that signifies space (in between words). Setting in the Word nor in WordFast did not work. This is a huge disappointment, because MARKUP is one of the things that made me want to use Word Add-In style editor. I guess proof-readers have to work without WordFast.

The project I am on is translation of books for the church, and recycling is not a huge plus for me, since it is not a technical document. I may be missing a lot, but what I am using is glossary for term check, and segmentation that allows me to see the original sentence and the translation on one-on-one basis.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
reply Feb 25, 2012

rocknel, as I've said before it's much better to have segment protection enabled and don't mess with the hidden text, let alone the tags. Usually wf identifies bad segments and cleaning is quite straightforward.

It is possible to 'embed' almost any type of apps, namely--dictionaries, termabses or reference, but it might require some tweaking or VBA (Visual Basic for Application scripting). Therefore, I added MT auto-suggestion when no match, two vocabularies and multitran termbase; perhaps it is possible to add reference sites or other relevant background data support, but I don't need it atm.

Also check Misc & Pandorabox option in wf because it's very rich in options, but use it wiselyicon_wink.gif

When needed I proofread via a free PlusTools add-on -- just open original (source) and translation (target), tick them at +Tools > +Files menu, select +Align tab and start simple aligning, so tablet view appears which I can review or print -- as for me I prefer to have a hard copy. Therefore, I can check it side-by-side which is better for me.

I would recommend using glossaries (terminology) to keep translation consolidated and consistent, none the worse if you can get a standard glossary -- usually they are plain texts.

Cheers

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:06
Finnish to French
Tags, markup, spaces Feb 26, 2012

rocknel wrote:
What you said about tags are correct, but I've seen some variations before (I cannot recall now), and there have been times when I adjust accordingly, it still gave me a warning.

What you call "tags" are in fact segment delimiters. Tags (internal and external) are something else in Wordfast Classic.

rocknel wrote:
The biggest problem I have found is WordFast Classic FREE interferes greatly with MS Word's MARKUP function. It just totally messes up. I don't know if the latest version works fine or not, but it does not matter because I am not paying $350.

You are probably referring to Word's track changes function. You CANNOT open a translation session in a document that contains open changes, and this is not a question of version, or of free vs. paid.
See:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=169-21
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=173-21
You can use the track changes function as long as you don't open a translation session in the document. You will also need to approve or reject changes before cleaning up the document.

rocknel wrote:
A small problem is that WordFast automatically puts a space in between sentences, and I cannot disable it. Well, I will try with Word's REPLACE function.

Wordfast doesn't put any spaces between sentences: they were there in the source document and they stay there in the translated version. What probably happens is that YOU are adding an extra (unneeded) space at the end of each target segment. Wordfast has a QA function that can warn you about such superfluous spaces (well, maybe not the antiquated version you are using, but the current version definitely can).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Classic - Please explain tags

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search