Numbers, format and commit to TM
Thread poster: flarrazabal

flarrazabal
Japan
Local time: 18:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 21, 2012

How can numbers/figures be automatically formatted to a different language?

e.g., how can WordFast convert automatically English 3,002.25 into Spanish 3.002,25?

And how can numbers be marked as 100% matches?

In "Outline" I still see the lines with numbers under "All except 100%" when, in fact, they are 100% matches.

The lines with numbers appear with a score of either "0" or N/A.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
Finnish to French
Wordfast Pro can't reformat numbers Feb 21, 2012

Fernando Larrazabal wrote:
How can numbers/figures be automatically formatted to a different language?
e.g., how can WordFast convert automatically English 3,002.25 into Spanish 3.002,25?

I assume you are talking about Wordfast Pro here. Well, the current version of Wordfast Pro won't let you reformat numbers. Wordfast Classic, OTOH, can do it.

And how can numbers be marked as 100% matches?
In "Outline" I still see the lines with numbers under "All except 100%" when, in fact, they are 100% matches.
The lines with numbers appear with a score of either "0" or N/A.

Not sure what you mean here. "100% match" indicates that segment pair is in the TM.

flarrazabal
Japan
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
100% match Feb 21, 2012

Dealing with a huge file full of charts and figures, and WordFast Pro can reformat the numbers? It must be a very difficult to implement function.

In "Outline" I want to see only the lines I still have to translate, selecting to show "no match" or "All Except 100%".
But although the translation of "18" is obviously "18", WordFast still shows a line that contains only "18" as one of the lines that is "All Except 100%".

What do I have to do so that the segment pair, in this case, "18" as source and "18" as target, is in the TM?

Now, it says that the 18 as a translation of 18 has a score of zero.

Finnish to French
Meaning of 100% match Feb 21, 2012

Dealing with a huge file full of charts and figures, and WordFast Pro can reformat the numbers? It must be a very difficult to implement function.

As I said, the current version of Wordfast Pro doesn't handle reformatting of numbers. Since I'm not a programmer, I won't tell you whether or not it would be difficult to implement, I just have no idea.

Now, knowing that Wordfast Pro doesn't reformat numbers, you have two possibilities: 1) you switch to a tool that handles reformatting of numbers or 2) you do the reformatting in the original document.

What was the format of the original document, btw?

In "Outline" I want to see only the lines I still have to translate, selecting to show "no match" or "All Except 100%".
But although the translation of "18" is obviously "18", WordFast still shows a line that contains only "18" as one of the lines that is "All Except 100%".

It seems to me you have a misunderstanding as to what a 100% match is: just because a segment consists of a single number (say, "18") and that number doesn't need to be translated doesn't make it a 100% match. As I said, a 100% match refers to an already translated (= found in the TM) segment.

What do I have to do so that the segment pair, in this case, "18" as source and "18" as target, is in the TM?

With Wordfast Pro, your best bet would be to avoid having lone-standing numbers in your TXML at all. There are several ways to prevent them from being imported, but we would need to know something about your source document.

flarrazabal
Japan
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Without access to the original files Feb 21, 2012

Now, knowing that Wordfast Pro doesn't reformat numbers, you have two possibilities: 1) you switch to a tool that handles reformatting of numbers or 2) you do the reformatting in the original document.

What was the format of the original document, btw?
---------

I have no idea what the original format of the document was. What I got from the client is a txml file.

---------
It seems to me you have a misunderstanding as to what a 100% match is: just because a segment consists of a single number (say, "18") and that number doesn't need to be translated doesn't make it a 100% match.

As I said, a 100% match refers to an already translated (= found in the TM) segment.

--------

How do I tell WordFast TM that the translation of "201.7" is "201,7" so that it becomes an already translated segment that can be found in the TM and a 100% match?

Does WF Pro think that numbers do not have to be "translated" or that we all have access to the original files and that, after translating the rest of the file, we will replace the layout of the numbers in the original language by the layout in the target language?

Finnish to French
memoQ Feb 21, 2012

I have no idea what the original format of the document was. What I got from the client is a txml file.

Too bad. Your client should have done a better job when preparing the TXML: knowing that Wordfast Pro cannot handle lone-standing numbers, these should have been left out of the TXML altogether.

How do I tell WordFast TM that the translation of "201.7" is "201,7" so that it becomes an already translated segment that can be found in the TM and a 100% match?
Does WF Pro think that numbers do not have to be "translated" or that we all have access to the original files and that, after translating the rest of the file, we will replace the layout of the numbers in the original language by the layout in the target language?

In your situation, I would run the TXML through memoQ, which supports the TXML format as input since version 5.0.54. In memoQ, you can sort source segments by alphabetical order, which should let you isolate lone-standing numbers. You can then "translate" them in one block, using the appropriate rules. It means some extra work, but if you have lots of numbers to process and will get paid for them, this may well be worth the time spent doing it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers, format and commit to TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search