What are Gold words?
Thread poster: EngtoSpaTrans

EngtoSpaTrans
United States
Local time: 04:14
English to Spanish
Mar 9, 2012

Hello, an agency I work for uses the term "Gold words" and I don't know what they mean by that. I don't know whether it is a term only used by them or a term used for Wordfast in general. I know it doesn't mean repetitions or fuzzies because they write:

Repetitions: X
Fuzzies: Y
Gold words: Z

Thanks for any input.

Álvaro

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Probably "unknown" segments Mar 9, 2012

Gold words would be words they pay you the full amount. At least one US-based agency uses this. 0% match = 100% of your word-rate.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:14
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Exactly the contrary Mar 9, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Probably "unknown" segments
Gold words would be words they pay you the full amount. ... 0% match = 100% of your word-rate.

The "goldies" are 100% matches for the existing client's TM, i.e. the segments that are already translated.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Natalie is right Mar 9, 2012

Gold words/segments are the ones that have already been pre-translated using a preexisting TM and the match is 100%.

Repetitions are word/segments that are repeated within the file but cannot be pre-translated using a preexisting TM and the match is 100%.

Fuzzies are word/segments which are partial matches to text, in this case they can be partial matches to text in the pre-existing TM or partial matches to text within the file, usually these have a match which is less than 99% and more than 75%.

EngtoSpaTrans
United States
Local time: 04:14
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 9, 2012

Thanks Heinrich, Natalie, and Alex. Then Gold words is simply 100% matches from an existing TM, those segments that appear in green color. Now I see why they were not counted when I saw the rate they offered; of course, then I would not read them at all when I'd see them.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
No way! Mar 10, 2012

The funny thing is that you MUST provide correct and consistent translation, but on and off it comes that 100% match is not a proper or the best translation to the previous match, especially it's true for different types of language pairs (eg. EN RU) and circumstantial antecedents, let alone orphans and possible mistranslations.

Therefore, that's why most trans-altors don't like 'gold' (for who?) matches: their work is not paid as it should. As for me, I never agree to such a white collar blackmailing and tender robbery, so when I was asked to approve the 'gold' quotes I demanded a disclaimer that in no case I am liable for possible incongruities with 100% matches. All such clients had a second thought and agreed to pay up as usually--without fake discounts.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
How generous are your clients Mar 10, 2012

DZiW wrote:
As for me, I never agree to such a white collar blackmailing and tender robbery, so when I was asked to approve the 'gold' quotes I demanded a disclaimer that in no case I am liable for possible incongruities with 100% matches. All such clients had a second thought and agreed to pay up as usually--without fake discounts.

So do they pay you a full price for translation of what has been already translated?

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not so generous Mar 10, 2012

as sensible, I think)

Usually I translated per volume (e.g. 9-11 cents per word) and offered discounts for my best clients or if there were enough non-urgent work zu tun. But when I started to use Trados they began asking me for discounts on %% match basis. Yet when I calculated approximate amount per volume and compared it to the analyzed statistics I found out that I would lose almost 1/5th, so I refused and explained it to them. Later I found a sample Disclaimer at ProZ which I liked very much, but it made most my match-loving clients a little sad. Antithesis? Perhaps it was my luck, but they did agree to pay per word, as I've already mentioned.

Also I was really annoyed when clients demanded Trados as a must-have, but really required a clean DOC/RTF only! It was so frustrating to use clumsy Trados/WB just to find out that ANY tool or even none would nice do as well. Rather nagging, but there were rather many different clients who suffered from that 'latest' fashion then.

Don't know how the things go at the moment for I'm no longer a freelancer and I don't have to tolerate such nonsense, but I still feel for those who deliberately agree to downrate, rob, fleece, and despoil themselves. Eventually they will surely end up as 'Will work for [insert here]'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are Gold words?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search