how to work on an Excel file with source/target columns?
Thread poster: rokabard
rokabard
Local time: 09:48
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Mar 13, 2012

hey all,

i have a question regarding the translation of Excel files in WF.

i have a large Excel file with 1 column with the header SOURCE containing text to be translated and another column with the header TARGET.

something like this:

1 SOURCE TARGET
2 blah
3 blah
4 blah
5 blah
6 blah shmah
7 blah
8 blah

my problem is that on the TARGET column some rows are already translated in the Excel file (as in row 6 in the above illustration).
if i open the file for translation normally, i get everything in the source column of the editor, like this:

SOURCE
TARGET
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
shmah
blah
blah

my question is how can i open the excel file for translation, translate only the SOURCE column, AND have the translated text in the TARGET column appear in the target column of the WF editor?

is that possible?
i've tried using the advance Excel wizard, checked the SOURCE column to be translated and chose the TARGET colum as target from the drop down list, but that didn't seem to do anything, except that WF only opened the SOURCE column for translation.

thanks in advance for any help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:48
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Similar thread Mar 13, 2012

You can find the step-by-step guide on how to prepare your Excel file in this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/218800-bilingual_excel.html

Best,
Attila

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Hide translated rows in Excel Mar 13, 2012

rokabard wrote:
i have a question regarding the translation of Excel files in WF.

i have a large Excel file with 1 column with the header SOURCE containing text to be translated and another column with the header TARGET.

something like this:

1 SOURCE TARGET
2 blah
3 blah
4 blah
5 blah
6 blah shmah
7 blah
8 blah

my problem is that on the TARGET column some rows are already translated in the Excel file (as in row 6 in the above illustration).

Just hide row 6 (and any other rows in which there is already a translation in the target column) in Excel, and Wordfast Pro won't import them.
Use the Advanced wizard to specify that translations should be copied in the target column.
When you save your translated file, the rows already translated will be there: you'll just have to unhide them in Excel.

Finnish to French
Hiding rows easier in this case Mar 13, 2012

Attila Piróth wrote:
You can find the step-by-step guide on how to prepare your Excel file in this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/218800-bilingual_excel.html

I think the method I described (hiding rows when the target column already contains a translation) is easier in this particular case.
If there are lots of such rows, you can sort them so that they form one block, hide all of them in one go, and sort them back by natural order.

Finnish to French
See it as a video Mar 14, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Just hide row 6 (and any other rows in which there is already a translation in the target column) in Excel, and Wordfast Pro won't import them.
Use the Advanced wizard to specify that translations should be copied in the target column.
When you save your translated file, the rows already translated will be there: you'll just have to unhide them in Excel.

I made a small video showing the process:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/03/14/how-to-translate-excel-columns-in-wordfast-pro/

you can also see it directly on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/CosfqUmx9yk?hd=1

rokabard
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank Mar 14, 2012

very nice video explanation. seems like a good solution indeed.

cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to work on an Excel file with source/target columns?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search