Marionlam  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:33
English to French
+ ...
Mar 19, 2012

Hi all,

Begginer alert!

I have been using Wordfast Anywhere for a little while with the same client, hoping that it would soon start regurgitating my own translation of some of the technical terms in particular, but to no avail. I suspect it's all user error and something isn't set up properly, but the word RIB, for example, which is actually a Rigid Inflatable Boat and is normally translated as 'Semi-Rigide', comes back again and again as 'NERVURES' (?!)

The top window also always states 'Machine Translation by WorldLingo, whatever that is...

I have just picked up a new client, and I though i'd start afresh so I have gone into 'Settings' and started a new TM and new glossary. How far into the text should I expect the system to pick my translation up, if ever? I've done a few paragraph and I can already notice some words coming back with the same mistranslation....

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS - Small side line: what do the number tags mean / do? Every other line of so, one of these comes up and I have no idea how to handle them...

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Said so much and said nothing Mar 19, 2012

You’ve given no useful information to get help. In particular, what is your TM/glossary setup for the document you’re translating? Provide a detailed, verbose description of your actions and/or screenshots.

Marionlam wrote:

but the word RIB, for example, which is actually a Rigid Inflatable Boat and is normally translated as 'Semi-Rigide',

Why should it be translated otherwise? Did you submit the correct translation?

The top window also always states 'Machine Translation by WorldLingo, whatever that is...

You won’t believe, but it’s machine translation by WorldLingo. The latter is a machine translation engine used by WFA to produce translations when no match is found in current TM.

what do the number tags mean / do?

They represent source text formatting or some other things. If you can’t guess what they are, leave them as they are in your translation. And generally don’t touch them, otherwise the resulting document may turn into mess.

Timothy Barton
Local time: 02:33
French to English
+ ...
I think you're misunderstanding... Mar 19, 2012

I think you're misunderstanding how CAT tools work. It sounds to me like you're using a machine translation (MT) plugin. If that's the case, your tool will never "learn" anything. You're just uploading your translations to a MT server and getting the MT back. What you can do is add your term to your glossary. I'm not sure whether WF has an assembly function. If it does, if you use the assembly, rather than the MT, your term will be translated from the glossary (but everything else will be in the source language). If you want to continue using the MT, what you can do is select the incorrectly translated term and then use the relevant keyboard shortcut to insert the correct translation from the glossary.

If your MT always translates it as "nervures", you might find it quicker to leave it as "nervures" and then just do a find/replace at the end.

I suggest you read up a little about how CAT tools work. Although they now have machine translation plugins, the machine translation is provided as is, and does not communicate in anyway with your translation memory or glossary.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
the basics Mar 19, 2012

It sounds like you are getting machine translation suggestions, if you don't want that, then turn off that feature. Then you will only get suggestions from your own TM.

Have you gone through any of the training material/videos to get a better handle on the basics, like how to handle tags? As a beginner, that is a great place to start.

Try making/using a glossary for your technical terms, that may be much more useful than the TM which won't return matches on single terms, only on full segments.

Be sure to sign up for the yahoo mailing list for WFA as well.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Excellent advice Mar 19, 2012

Lori Cirefice wrote:
It sounds like you are getting machine translation suggestions, if you don't want that, then turn off that feature. Then you will only get suggestions from your own TM.

Yes, it seems machine translation is enabled by default in WFA. I'm not sure whether it's a blessing, as freebies tend to attract newbies who will get the wrong impression about it.

Lori Cirefice wrote:
Have you gone through any of the training material/videos to get a better handle on the basics, like how to handle tags? As a beginner, that is a great place to start.

Yes: all the resources can be found under the 'Help' menu in WFA.

Lori Cirefice wrote:
Try making/using a glossary for your technical terms, that may be much more useful than the TM which won't return matches on single terms, only on full segments.

Spot on once again.

Lori Cirefice wrote:
Be sure to sign up for the yahoo mailing list for WFA as well.

Definitely. A banner with a clickable link is displayed every time you log in, but many people seem to miss it, so here it is:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_Anywhere/

United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mmm... clearly I have more to learn than I thought, but... Mar 19, 2012

.. I'm no technophobe, I do use my fair share of software and internet interfaces, and I don't find this very intuitive.

I am willing to learn of course, and I will be going through the training material as suggested, but what your responses seem to suggest is that I should manually add my technical terms to a separate glossary - what's the point, I might as well scribble then down on a separate piece of paper...?! Stupidly, I thought a TM would learn from me amending the MT and then use its newly acquired knowledge every time a similar context appears, but now it sounds like I have to build a TM / glossary separately.

Am I missing something...?

My objective is not to use the machine translation, although I do find it speeds things up as you don't have so much to type, but definitely to use my own words to keep the result correct and consistent...

Thanks for your patience!

United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Submit the correct translation...? Mar 19, 2012

Marionlam wrote:

but the word RIB, for example, which is actually a Rigid Inflatable Boat and is normally translated as 'Semi-Rigide',

Why should it be translated otherwise? Did you submit the correct translation?

How do I submit it, and what/who to?

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Just type Mar 19, 2012

Just type in the correct translation and hit Alt+Down to send it to TM and go to the next segment.

P. S. Do you understand the workflow of WFA actually?

[Edited at 2012-03-19 16:54 GMT]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
more info Mar 19, 2012

Marionlam wrote:
Am I missing something...?

Yes From your posts, it seems like you haven't yet grasped exactly what you should/can expect from a CAT tool, but you're definitely on the right track now! I remember when I was in the same situation years ago, I signed up for an in-person training course and it helped immensly, really!

Marionlam wrote:

I should manually add my technical terms to a separate glossary - what's the point, I might as well scribble then down on a separate piece of paper...?!

Use CTRL + ALT + T to add terms to your glossary. First select the source term, do the key combination, and then enter the target term in the dialogue box. After that, WF will recognize it each time you come across the term in your translation. From there, you just insert the target term like a placeable with another key combination. It's much faster and more convenient than retyping or scribbling on paper

If you are looking for consistency, then the glossary feature is exactly what you need.

Marionlam wrote:

Stupidly, I thought a TM would learn from me amending the MT and then use its newly acquired knowledge every time a similar context appears, but now it sounds like I have to build a TM / glossary separately.

Not stupid, no - just a little inaccurate and somewhat confused... first of all, you need to understand the difference between translation memory, glossaries and machine translation. I don't use machine translation personally but I can assure you that part of what you want to do is possible with WF, like reusing previous translations, especially in texts with a lot of repetition. The context search feature is probably my favorite part of WF, and there is much more. Take the time to learn how to use WF, you won't regret it.

United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 19, 2012

Thanks Guys, it's beginning to sound better. I'll get started with the training material.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFA - doesn't seem to learn from me

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search