WF not working as it should
Thread poster: Nordictexts
Nordictexts
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:35
Danish to English
Mar 23, 2012

Hi all,

I am using WF 6.01g (the latest version) under Windows XP SP3. My MS Word version is 2010. Both Windows and Word are fully patched/updated.

Wordfast's translation behaviour is very erratic. It is either producing the solution for the previous segment in the target segment, or it is getting the solution completely wrong for the target segment, or it is copying the source into the target.

Some examples:

For "læge and sygesikring" it comes up with "Life in Denmark", which was the solution for the previous segment! For "Bolig i Danmark" it comes up with "Doctors and health insurance" which was the solution for the previous segment! For "Jobsøgning" it comes up with "The Danish labour market" which was the solution
to the previous segment! (Det Danske arbejdsmarked). For "Før ankomst" it comes up with "On arrival" which is not correct; the correct solution is "Prior to arrival". For "Forsikring mod arbejdsløshed" it comes up with "insurance", which is the solution to the previous segment! For "Sprogkurser" instead of producing "Language courses" in the target segment, it merely copies the source text into the target.

WF is also not reproducing the formatting/style of the source text in the target segment. I have to format the text manually.

All these problems make working with WF extremely time-consuming. WF is simply not doing what it should be doing automatically.

Has anyone experienced similar problems and can help?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:35
French to English
Settings Mar 23, 2012

Please give us an idea of what settings you have activated on the setup tab under PB, also what is your fuzzy threshold? Are you by chance using a glossary with fuzzy terminology recognition activated?

With very short segments, sometimes fuzzy matching gives strange results... in your examples, you didn't say if you are getting wrong 100% matches, or just bad fuzzy matches (less than 100%)

As for not reproducing formatting, is it only for the current document, or all documents? This behavior is sometimes caused by problems in the source file, like OCR'd documents, or werecatted documents... I have experienced it and it really is annoying!

[Edited at 2012-03-23 14:00 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
Finnish to French
"rogue" document Mar 23, 2012

Lori Cirefice wrote:
As for not reproducing formatting, is it only for the current document, or all documents? This behavior is sometimes caused by problems in the source file, like OCR'd documents, or werecatted documents... I have experienced it and it really is annoying!

Yes, the possibility of a "rogue" document comes to mind. One easy way to test it is to paste the content of the document suspected of rogueness as unformatted into a new document, and translate that. If all the symptoms disappear in the new document, the original document was a "rogue" one.

Nordictexts
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:35
Danish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update/reply Mar 27, 2012

Hi guys,

Thanks for your posts.

I don't have any PB commands enabled.

Fuzzy threshold is 75. I'm not using any glossaries.

I'm getting 100% wrong matches in nearly all cases.

I don't usually have these problems. It seems to be only with this document. I suspect it may be a PDF file that has been converted to a Word file.

Dominque, how do I paste without the formatting of the original document?

Thanks, Nordictexts

xxxchristela
This is not a Wordfast problem Mar 27, 2012

But your Word file is corrupted. Typically, in these files, when you center a paragraph, you see that the foregoing or the following paragraph will be centered.

You can try this:
- open a new Word file and copy the content of the old file in it
- or try to save it as a .rtf file (this keeps formatting, but in a simplier way)
- or save it as a text file .txt, and then read again in Word (then you don't keep formatting, but you can translate it and format it again).

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF not working as it should

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search