Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:45
French to English
Mar 27, 2012

Hello all,
I use Wordfast a lot but mostly for my own benefit as not many of my agencies ask for CAT tools, and I am a fairly basic user. I recently was asked to analyse a document and provide an estimated based on repetitions. I was a bit confused to see next to Repetitions the number 16290 (which I assumed was the total number) but at the bottom of this column for 0% - 74 the number 28024 (so greater than the total?). Would be grateful for any advice on reading a Wordfast analysis!

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:45
English to Polish
+ ...
Hi Mar 27, 2012

I do not know what you have in the 100% - 75% range, but the total number of characters (or words, depending on what you meant) is at least 44314, i.e. each line in the WF analysis refers to a different portion of the text. Repetitions correspond to the parts that are repeated within the source text, but are not available in the memory (e.g. say there are 14 sentences "I love you." in the source text, the first sentence - if not in the memory - will be a no (0%) match, whereas the remaining 13 ... See more
I do not know what you have in the 100% - 75% range, but the total number of characters (or words, depending on what you meant) is at least 44314, i.e. each line in the WF analysis refers to a different portion of the text. Repetitions correspond to the parts that are repeated within the source text, but are not available in the memory (e.g. say there are 14 sentences "I love you." in the source text, the first sentence - if not in the memory - will be a no (0%) match, whereas the remaining 13 sentences - repetitions). The numbers (of words or characters) next to fuzzy matches (those with %) are matches based on your (connected) translation memory.

HTH

[Zmieniono 2012-03-27 10:11 GMT]
Collapse

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 27, 2012

Hi Magdalena,
Thanks for your reply. I'm using Wordfast Classic. The word column looks as follows:
Repetitions 16290
100% 7
95%-99% 2
85%-94% 0
75%-84% 3
00%-74% 28024
Total 44330
Am I right in thinking that 00%-74% are no matches up to 74%? And if so how would you quote this price wise?

[Edited at 2012-03-27 10:10 GMT]

Magdalena Szewciów
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes! Mar 27, 2012

You are right!

As for the pricing, well, there are different opinions here (on proz.com) and among my fellow translators.

From personal experience, a match below 80% is usually of no use (examples? here goes: EN>PL 72% match: The essential features of the excavator are as follows:, suggested match: Oprocentowanie należnych składek jest następujące (meaning roughly: the interest rate of due premiums is as follows), 76% match: Is there a problem? - czy ta dziewczyna
... See more
You are right!

As for the pricing, well, there are different opinions here (on proz.com) and among my fellow translators.

From personal experience, a match below 80% is usually of no use (examples? here goes: EN>PL 72% match: The essential features of the excavator are as follows:, suggested match: Oprocentowanie należnych składek jest następujące (meaning roughly: the interest rate of due premiums is as follows), 76% match: Is there a problem? - czy ta dziewczyna jest pielęgniarką? (is this girl a nurse?), and so on).

So, IMO, charge 100% rate for matches below 80%.

[Zmieniono 2012-03-27 10:21 GMT]
Collapse

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Mar 27, 2012

Thanks again Magdalena, that's very useful!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
Finnish to French
Bill total - repetitions Mar 27, 2012

Anne Greaves wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I'm using Wordfast Classic. The word column looks as follows:
Repetitions 16290
100% 7
95%-99% 2
85%-94% 0
75%-84% 3
00%-74% 28024
Total 44330
Am I right in thinking that 00%-74% are no matches up to 74%? And if so how would you quote this price wise?

You would basically want to quote like if it were a job of 44.330 - 16.290 words. However, wordfast Classic isn't the ideal tool to deal with documents that include lots of repeated segments, unless you extract them, translate them separately and pretranslate your entire document. Still, other tools like memoQ do a better job in such situations.

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Query Mar 27, 2012

Thanks Dominique..so you wouldn't charge for the 16290 repetitions at all?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
I agree Mar 27, 2012

Magdalena Szewciów wrote:
So, IMO, charge 100% rate for matches below 80%.

Yes, definitely! However, Anne's particular case is mostly about repetitions, as there are very few full and fuzzy matches. And if the TM is hers and not one supplied by the client, she has no reason to give discounts based on matches from it anyway. But I do understand that if a segment is repeated 100 times within the document (or sets of documents), few clients will want to pay the full price for all 100 segments.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
I usually use Trados but... Mar 27, 2012

Anne Greaves wrote:

Yes, I would charge: 30% of your normal rate for 100% matches and repetitions. I tend to read my whole document once I have finished. This is time consuming and should be paid.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
It's up to you Mar 27, 2012

Anne Greaves wrote:

It depends on the tool you are using and on how much extra work these repeated segments will cause. As I said, with Wordfast Classic, you will spend more time going through them than if they weren't there. So perhaps you could add the equivalent of 1-2 hours to your quote, in order to take into account the extra work they will cause.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends if you have to do any work for them Mar 27, 2012

Anne Greaves wrote:
So you wouldn't charge for the 16290 repetitions at all?

I can't speak for Dominique, but you should determine whether those 16290 words would take any effort to translate. If there is effort, then you should be compensated for it. If your document is fairly uniform and has straight-forward formatting, and you simply have to press Shift+Ctrl+PageDown to translate those segments automatically, then don't charge for it. But if your job consists of multiple files with formatting that has to be carefully checked, then translating those segments will take some time, and then you should charge for it (e.g. 1/3 or 1/4 of your translation rate).

Magdalena Szewciów
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Mar 27, 2012

And if the TM is hers and not one supplied by the client, she has no reason to give discounts based on matches from it anyway.

I totally agree.

As for my rate for repetitions, I usually charge around 30%.

[Zmieniono 2012-03-27 11:03 GMT]

[Zmieniono 2012-03-27 11:04 GMT]

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Mar 27, 2012

Thanks to all for contributions! Will consider your remarks carefully...

transfromlima
transfromlima  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
English to Spanish
WordFast Pro version 3.4, no 100% matches Sep 17, 2014

Hi everybody:

I am working on WordFast Professional version 3.4 on a Microsoft Office XP.

When I started analyzing files in WFP I got the "100% TM matches" and "No matches" statistics in the TM analysis report, but I've realized in these days when I am analyzing other files, I am not getting the "100% TM matches" and "No matches" numbers anymore. Instead of this, I've got the 99% matches and NO MATCHES at all.

After this, when I go to the TXML Editor persp
... See more
Hi everybody:

I am working on WordFast Professional version 3.4 on a Microsoft Office XP.

When I started analyzing files in WFP I got the "100% TM matches" and "No matches" statistics in the TM analysis report, but I've realized in these days when I am analyzing other files, I am not getting the "100% TM matches" and "No matches" numbers anymore. Instead of this, I've got the 99% matches and NO MATCHES at all.

After this, when I go to the TXML Editor perspective and and open the file that was analyzed, I see the 99% matches in yellow color and no 100% matches in green color as it should be.

How can I fix the problem? I think may be I’ve misconfigured some option that it can’t let me to get the 100% TM matches and NO matches’ numbers.

I´ll be waiting for your suggestions.

Greetings,
MónI Arroyo

[Edited at 2014-09-17 19:51 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@MónI Sep 17, 2014

transfromlima wrote:
How can I fix the problem? I think may be I’ve misconfigured some option that it can’t let me to get the 100% TM matches and NO matches’ numbers.

Try this: in WFP, go to Edit > Preferences > Translations > +Translation Memory > +Penalties. My guess is that your WFP "penalises" certain segments based on certain criteria.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document analysis

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »