Thread poster: Thomas Wilhelm

Thomas Wilhelm  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 09:05
English to French
+ ...
Mar 28, 2012

Good morning,
Wordfast is asking me to renew my license number (which has happened before, interestingly nearly always when I was without a fast internet connection). However, the www.wordfast.net server is down and none of the support options for Wordfast Classic are available.
Could someone please help or has anyone an idea how long I can expect to be without Wf Classic?
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Same here Mar 28, 2012

I just saw your post after I posted mine. Let's hope it gets solved soon!
Catherine

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Anaphraseus for backup Mar 28, 2012

Anaphraseus workflow is similar to WF Classic, it uses compatible TMs and glossaries. Anaphraseus is not so rich in features and is in beta state, but in case of emergency you can go on translating with Anaphraseus and revert to WF later (backup your work, obviously).

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Mar 28, 2012

Thomas Wilhelm wrote:

Good morning,
Wordfast is asking me to renew my license number (which has happened before, interestingly nearly always when I was without a fast internet connection). However, the www.wordfast.net server is down and none of the support options for Wordfast Classic are available.
Could someone please help or has anyone an idea how long I can expect to be without Wf Classic?
Thank you!

Me too, since about an hour ago. I'm furious, going up the wall because I have work piling up here, have sent off an email about it and am waiting for a reply.

I've seen that this has apprently been happening to a lot of people in the past 24 hours or so, and to me it looks suspiciously like they may be trying to suck up people's Classic TMs into some sort of cloud, which is one of the reasons I don't use WF Anywhere, as I am deeply suspicious of "clouding", which to me means sharing my TMs and glossaries etc for free with all and sundry (i.e. mere mortals). Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

[Edited at 2012-03-28 09:41 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
No idea Mar 28, 2012

Thomas Wilhelm wrote:

The problem has been notified to the powers-that-be, but I can't say when the situation will be back to normal.

All I can suggest is: create an empty TM, translate with it for the time being and clean it into your main TM when you're once again running in licensed mode. You can still use your main TM for concordance searches if you put the empty TM in the same folder and enable the 'sibling TM' feature.

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Hmmm Mar 28, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Me too, since about an hour ago. I'm furious, going up the wall because I have work piling up here, have sent off an email about it and am waiting for a reply.

I wasn't even able to send an email! It's as if the WF site doesn't even exist anymore!

I've seen that this has apprently been happening to a lot of people in the past 24 hours or so, and to me it looks suspiciously like they may be trying to suck up people's Classic TMs into some sort of cloud, which is one of the reasons I don't use WF Anywhere, as I am deeply suspicious of "clouding", which to me means sharing my TMs and glossaries etc for free with all and sundry (i.e. mere mortals). Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

[Edited at 2012-03-28 09:41 GMT]

I don't know about the clouding possibility, but I did find it odd that a program ostensibly parked in MY computer should stop working because an website crashed. I wasn't using WF Anywhere, but the downloaded program.
Catherine

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Workaround Mar 28, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

It's just that you can't get matches from your big TM. This is a problem mostly if you happen to be updating a manual or something similar.

Well, that's problem! I don't do manuals, but I DO have a file that the customer has updated, so I guess the answer is keeping two windows open :-/

Meanwhile, a colleague kindly wrote to me privately to say:

"I had the same problem this morning. It took about
four attempts. I closed Word, reopened the doc, reorganised
the TM, and changed a setting, and WF started to work
again."

She also said that she changed a random setting, like the percentage for fuzzy matches.
I took her advice and closed Word a couple of times, closed and reopened my file several times and changed a setting in PB, and now it's working (for the time being). But at least I'm up and running again with the big TM I need. Whew!

What I really don't understand is why it has affected some people and not others. I wrote to another colleague here in Italy and she hasn't had any problems at all.

Catherine

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
It's working... Mar 28, 2012

Catherine Bolton wrote:
I don't know about the clouding possibility, but I did find it odd that a program ostensibly parked in MY computer should stop working because an website crashed.

...but in demo mode only. Everything is functional, except using a TM larger than 500 TU's. As I said in another post, use an empty TM for the time being. You can translate, and your translations won't be lost. It's just that you can't get matches from your big TM. This is a problem mostly if you happen to be updating a manual or something similar.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My point exactly Mar 28, 2012

Catherine Bolton wrote:

I don't know about the clouding possibility, but I did find it odd that a program ostensibly parked in MY computer should stop working because an website crashed. I wasn't using WF Anywhere, but the downloaded program.
Catherine

This is what I mean. I have used WF Classic for a few years now and often use it when offline without any problems, and I had always understood that it is supposed to be a standalone application, i.e. not dependent on internet access. I just don't understand why it suddenly isn't working - and at a very inconvenient time.

I didn't bother signing up for Anywhere because I am wary of sharing my TMs, glossaries and expertise in general with a formless mass in cyberspace of what to me is basically the competition, and thats' why I suspected it might have something to do with it... I just hope I'm mistaken because I'd hate to have to give up WF and look for another solution.

[Edited at 2012-03-28 10:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-28 10:19 GMT]

My issue is NOT that I need matches from my "big TM" but that I want to "feed" it and would rather not translate anything that isn't being recorded in the TM.

NOTE: WF Classic appears to be working on my backup PC, which is odd..

[Edited at 2012-03-28 10:48 GMT]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
@neilmac Mar 28, 2012

The required internet connection issue only applies to more recent versions of WFC, apparently it is a relatively new feature (I only heard about it yesterday for the first time). I have an ancient version of WFC and no problems here, but I can feel the pain of those affected by this problem!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with generating new Wordfast Classic license number

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search