User name in TM (in Notepad)
Thread poster: Nicola Jane
Nicola Jane
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:40
Dutch to English
Mar 29, 2012

When I view my TMs from Wordfast Classic in Notepad, the name given to the 'user' (i.e. me) is not my name. I am not sure how this has happened but I would like to change it as it looks odd when I send updated TMs back to agencies (they see the user is 'Koen' when it should be 'Nicky'). How do I go about changing this; it affects all of the TMs I use in WF Classic.

Thanks,
Nicky (not Koen!)

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
English to French
+ ...
see below Mar 29, 2012

1) In the editor of choice (Notepad, Wordpad, Word, etc.), do a global change in the TM, then save it in text format.
2) In Wf, in the TM | TM Attributes (assuming that Attribute#1 is still your User ID, as Default), put the cursor (click) in the "Values for Attribute#1" text box, then press "-" to delete Koen, then (still with the cursor in the text box), press "+" and enter your User ID of choice, such as "NJ Nicola Jane".
Close Wf and click on OK when prompted to save the .ini file.

That should do it.

Nicola Jane
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:40
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 30, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I have now successfully changed the name on the TM. Will that apply to all TMs or just the one selected when I made the attribute change?

Nicky.

xxxchristela
On all new TMs Mar 30, 2012

Afak, it will apply on all new TMs. Therefore, check all the TMs you hand back to your clients in Notepad. And also check that there are no undesirable effects in the translator column - I saw for instance that in some cases my husband's name appeared, which is of no use and even tricky because he has nothing to do with my translation business, I only worked for a while on his computer.
I don't know where WF takes these names from. From the Word Options menu?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:40
Finnish to French
User name in Word and Wordfast Mar 30, 2012

Nicola Jane wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I have now successfully changed the name on the TM. Will that apply to all TMs or just the one selected when I made the attribute change?

The first time you create a TM after installing Wordfast, Wordfast will use whatever user name and initials you have entered in Word (Word 2010: File > Options > General):

After that, it will create the following two lines in your .ini:

UserName=JD John Doe
DefaultAttributes=0User ID,JD,JD John Doe, 00

Any new TM created later on will "inherit" the values stored on these lines, so you want to make sure they match the identity you want to use in Wordfast.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
And in WF Pro? Mar 30, 2012

Hi Dominique,

Do you know how this works for WFPro? Trying to set/control the user name showing in WFPro has been a longtime issue for me, I have even considered changing my entire Window's user name for it. I don't think it is taken from this setting in Word for Pro.

Sorry if I hack this thread for WF classic. I happened to see this last message coming in by my notifier titled "user name in word and wordfast."

Thanks.
Lianne

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:40
Finnish to French
User ID in Wordfast Pro Mar 31, 2012

Lianne Van De Ven wrote:
Do you know how this works for WFPro? Trying to set/control the user name showing in WFPro has been a longtime issue for me, I have even considered changing my entire Window's user name for it. I don't think it is taken from this setting in Word for Pro.

Wordfast Pro has real problems with attributes, both for TM's and for glossaries. In Windows, my user account is Dominique, in Mac, it is dominiquepivard. When I create a new TM in WFP for Windows, I end up with DO as my "initials" and Dominique as my user name. Likewise, I get DO as my "initials" and dominiquepivard as my user name in OS X. To add insult to injury, there is no way you can change this within the WFP user interface (at least, not that I'm aware of). If you edit the TM header in a text editor (eg. Notepad in Windows, Textedit in Mac), the changes will stick.

If a TM originates from WFC (or WFA) and it includes optional attributes, WFP won't make any use of them. Again, there's a missing link in the WFP user interface: WFP should let you create optional attributes like WFC and WFA do, and display them in concordance search results or when you get a match.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

User name in TM (in Notepad)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search